View Single Post
Old 10-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #91 (permalink)
orange4boy
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Wish I had seen this post before. I have been through that inspection twice. I got pulled over for flashing other cars, warning them about a radar trap in the opposite direction. (which is legal) After he harassed me about that, he wrote me up for an inspection. I didn't have my right side windshield wiper on.

I chose an inspection place near me and told them I have my own mechanic (me) who will do all the repairs. That way they couldn't use the opportunity to rip off a captive audience.

The way I remember, when It happened to me, they did not force me to take my car off the road when it failed since there was still time before the inspection deadline but I don't remember exactly. In any event, I did get an a-b permit from ICBC to drive it home (which is allowed AFAIK) to complete the repairs and then back to the garage to do the re-inspection. I took off most of my mods too.

The crazy thing they made me do was replace all the seats in my van that I use as a cargo van. I don't understand that. If it's not illegal to remove them then why should I have to replace them just for a seal belt inspection as if you can only use a vehicle as it was originally intended. I had to borrow someone else's seats since I had recycled mine. What a PITA.

Glad to hear you are on the road again. At least your car is in better shape now.

By the way, Let's not turn this into a government is evil bandwagon. We all benefit from emission laws and many of our cars would not exist if it were not for MPG legislation. Government has it's flaws, for sure, and we have our flaws for not being proactive enough to make it better but I'd rather have a flawed government than be at the mercy of unbridled private greed.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orange4boy For This Useful Post:
Istas (01-12-2016), UFO (10-06-2015)