Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2015, 02:28 PM   #91 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Wish I had seen this post before. I have been through that inspection twice. I got pulled over for flashing other cars, warning them about a radar trap in the opposite direction. (which is legal) After he harassed me about that, he wrote me up for an inspection. I didn't have my right side windshield wiper on.

I chose an inspection place near me and told them I have my own mechanic (me) who will do all the repairs. That way they couldn't use the opportunity to rip off a captive audience.

The way I remember, when It happened to me, they did not force me to take my car off the road when it failed since there was still time before the inspection deadline but I don't remember exactly. In any event, I did get an a-b permit from ICBC to drive it home (which is allowed AFAIK) to complete the repairs and then back to the garage to do the re-inspection. I took off most of my mods too.

The crazy thing they made me do was replace all the seats in my van that I use as a cargo van. I don't understand that. If it's not illegal to remove them then why should I have to replace them just for a seal belt inspection as if you can only use a vehicle as it was originally intended. I had to borrow someone else's seats since I had recycled mine. What a PITA.

Glad to hear you are on the road again. At least your car is in better shape now.

By the way, Let's not turn this into a government is evil bandwagon. We all benefit from emission laws and many of our cars would not exist if it were not for MPG legislation. Government has it's flaws, for sure, and we have our flaws for not being proactive enough to make it better but I'd rather have a flawed government than be at the mercy of unbridled private greed.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to orange4boy For This Useful Post:
Istas (01-12-2016), UFO (10-06-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-06-2015, 04:34 PM   #92 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
$3000 in repairs is surely more than the value of the vehicle.

These stories make me glad I don't live in a State with such Draconian laws. I thought I had it bad living in the U.S. with all the hoops people are made to endure when life should be a mostly simple and free experience. I wonder if these strict rules are partially to blame on the no-fault accident system in Canada?

In the US, there is no inspections to go through unless the car was totalled by insurance and you go through a reconstructed title process. We're still individually held accountable for our actions in civil and criminal courts should something go awry.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 10-06-2015, 05:08 PM   #93 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
The crazy thing they made me do was replace all the seats in my van that I use as a cargo van. I don't understand that. If it's not illegal to remove them then why should I have to replace them just for a seal belt inspection as if you can only use a vehicle as it was originally intended. I had to borrow someone else's seats since I had recycled mine. What a PITA.
Since I have worked for the government I can safely say the only consistency you will find is incompetence and stupidity at all ranks, all levels and in all departments.
There is a point where ignorance becomes indistinguishable form malevolence.

I will keep the seats from my suburban.
I was planning on taking them out, burning them and recycling the steel.
Now I will just take them out and stash them in the shed.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 10-06-2015 at 05:14 PM..
Old 10-07-2015, 12:03 AM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
Quote:
I can safely say the only consistency you will find is incompetence and stupidity at all ranks, all levels and in all departments.
There is a point where ignorance becomes indistinguishable form malevolence.
I could say the same about my work in the private sector. Groups of people always have problems. Only we are perfect

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

The Following User Says Thank You to orange4boy For This Useful Post:
Istas (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #95 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Sorry to resurrect the dead here, but aren't there laws regarding "Experimental motor vehicles", as well as to cover custom vehicles and rebuilds from so many different vehicles that it essentially constitutes a new car?

Reply  Post New Thread