View Single Post
Old 10-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
bdesj
EcoModding Apprentice

Toyota - '94 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.91 mpg (US)

Scooter - '06 Yamaha Majesty
90 day: 31.65 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
  1. What version of Mac OSX and what version of Windows?
  2. ...is likely why and how to turn off automatic updates and how to prevent everything you do being immediately mirrored into the cloud.
  3. I suggest a USB 3.0 external drive that is powered from the USB port, for convenience.
  4. If you use Mac OSX's Time Machine backup software it will create something it calls a 'sparse bundle' on the backup drive, that require a username and password to mount. That would be problematic under Windows. You could use Finder/File/Compress "ƒoldername" to make a ZIP file; or if you have a CD or DVD burner then Finder/File/Burn "ƒoldername" to disk...
1. 10.4 to (most likely) Windows 10.
2. Ummm... lost me. Are you talking about the transfer, or recommending something to do with the new computer?
3. Sounds good. I see most of the new coputers in my price range claim at least one USB3, will need to check specs on this one to see what flavor the USB ports are.
4. Almost total Greek to me, sorry. But it sounds like most of that is a warning not to do the transfer via Time Machine? If so, the rest I think is moot.