View Single Post
Old 10-31-2015, 01:30 AM   #1 (permalink)
oil pan 4
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,526 Times in 2,800 Posts
Vehicle solar panels to grid

I searched and it looks like no one has tried this on here yet, which is surprising.
So far I have 24 watts of solar panels installed on the vehicle and 140 more watts on the way. I was thinking about it today and seemed like these solar panels with the genasun charge controller, I just made up the worlds most expensive battery tender when its not needed.

Need to get some more use out of the solar panels. This is the setup I was considering. Very simple. Take the solar panel and split the output between the grid tie and Genasun MPPT charge controller. The cheap grid tie electronics coupled with the advanced MPPT electronics should work quiet well for "running both at the same time" for my purposes. The Genasun's MPPT electronics will try to gobble up even as little as 8 volts to charge batteries. The very simple electronics of the grid tie inverter actually need more than 14 volts to start working well.

If that doesn't work then I just wont plug it in until later till after I know the battery is charged.
And no the battery voltage will not reverse feed through the charge controller.

Not too long ago I was going through some boxes in the out building and found my old 300 watt grid tie inverter I bought in 2008 to do some grid tie experiments with micro wind power.

That's my old 12 to 28 volt grid tie inverter. From what I can remember when testing on the wind turbine it made 20 to 30 watts at 12 volts. Then at 24 volts (only obtained through force feeding battery power to inverter) it made 240watts and over heated. That is why I hole sawed a 3 inch hole in the top of the inverter and covered it with a fan. I could not induce an over heating fault after that mod. The fan is powered with DC input voltage.
If you look closely you can see where I cut the wires so I could power the fan with 12v and feed the inverter 24 volts. All I need to do is reconnect the wires.
Since the power company installed a dumb smart meter that is so advanced it only knows how to count up, any power I produce this meter would count as consumption, that removes 2 huge threats to the power company. 1, people who steal power and 2, the people who generate and grid their own.
How to defeat the dumb smart meter: It just so happens I have most of my vampire loads on one circuit, I could easily move the rest over and this circuit. Also this circuit shares a wall to the garage and I already tapped into it so I would have an additional 120 volt circuit out in the garage to use. Now all I have to do is install the inverter, add some fusing and back feed power on to that circuit.
There you have it, vehicle meet grid; grid meet vehicle.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	18987   Click image for larger version

Name:	VtG.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	18988  

Last edited by oil pan 4; 10-31-2015 at 01:48 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
IamIan (11-01-2015)