View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 07:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Disconnected the Idle Air Control

Well, that was "Interesting"...

I disconnected the Idle Air Control to see what would happen on a cold start.

As expected, it took some feathering of the throttle to keep it running -- but after it warmed-up, it still required the input.

Some notable notations:
  • High Idle disappears (good)
  • (All the following items occurs, including after warmup...)
  • When slowing to a stop, the car stalls in Drive before stopping (it's a nice smooth shutdown -- you don't even know it until the charge light comes on and the steering gets stiff)
  • Vehicle stalls in Neutral (easy engine cut -- just shift to "N")
  • Engine Code Thrown - P1503 IACV Malfunction
  • Unknown operation: closed or open loop (used datalogger instead of SG-II)

Side note: the A/T version of this vehicle has a "Fast Idle Thermo Valve", which is a coolant operated wax plunger that keeps the idle up when cold (downstream of the IACV). This might be the target device, but has no "quick disconnect" -- it would require looping the coolant line back into itself (and no easy way to switch it).

Operation: What's fun, is that you can coast down at 400 RPM and keep an eye on things to keep from stalling, while in Drive -- and just give it a little throttle and off you go, or downshift to keep the engine alive...

To continue with this experiment, a couple things need confirmed:
- Is the low RPM operation potentially reducing the amount of oil and/or transmission fluid being pumped (down to a dangerous level)? It doesn't lug (so no concern there).
- I have a switch that I can wire into the sensor, so I could have more control when the vehicle is warm. Not being well-versed with feathering the throttle, some hard transmission engagements occurred at lights.
- Is this saving fuel, or could the ECU be compensating for the error? The SG can answer that soon...

I have the shop manual which noted the IACV circuit is involved in a complex feedback system that's fed to the ECU and determines idle among a bunch of other things. It didn't go into detail on the specifics of the ECU's logarithms in this case, but instead circuit and device troubleshooting, so

Any thoughts?

RH77

_
_