View Single Post
Old 05-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeEcoNukem View Post
Thanks and yeah ever since I bought it I've seen more and more just like it. My goal right now is to get 45mpg. I've changed the way I drive, I use to drive 80 mph back and forth on my way to school and so. Now I drive 60 and I'm up to 33ish mpg which I an improvement to 27mpg. As soon as I can afford a scan gauge I'm going to buy one. I've acquired some cardboard to make a belly pan, diffuser templates.
Nice progress. Driving more slowly is a key strategy. When fuel prices go back up, you'll be glad you learned how to do this more effectively.

You have an automatic so there will be limits to the gains you can have compared to my manual. That's because some of the biggest gains come from engine off coasting and you cannot do that with an auto. But there are a couple totally free things you can do easily and right away.

(1) Our 1998 Civics have deceleration fuel cut off mode, which you can learn to use. Once the car is reasonably warm and if you are over 1500 RPMs when you take your foot of the accelerator the computer will shut fuel off to the engine. So practice coasting to a stop in gear. Also, whenever you'll be sitting for more than 10 or15 seconds you can shut the engine off to save fuel. Do that in park.

(2) Pump up the tire pressure and monitor it. In my experience, Chevron stations all let you pump air for free. When it comes time to buy new tires, find low rolling resistance tires. All the high fuel economy cars, electric and hybrid, use them. They save significant fuel.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.