Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2016, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cannonball - '97 Nissan Sentra GXE
Team Nissan
90 day: 32.95 mpg (US)
New to the site and to Ecomodding!

Hey everyone,
I am a newbie to this whole ecomod lifestyle. So anything or any advice I appreciate. I bought a 98 Honda DX Hatchback a few months back because I drive 110-112 miles a day 6-7 days a week.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.62 mpg (US)
Welcome.

The usual wipe-your-feet-at-the-door stuff:

65 proven mods

Hypermiling tips

When you first get started, the biggest bang for the buck - because no bucks are actually spent - is from "adjusting the nut behind the wheel." Now that you are actually thinking about driving in such a way as to maximize your fuel economy, you will see opportunities that weren't realized as opportunities before. They weren't opportunities because there were no goals to associate them with; now there are and you can see them.

Schedule pretty reliable? Leave five minutes earlier, drive five miles per hour slower, save five miles per gallon. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.

Long downhills on modest routes? Shift to neutral and roll. Stop sign at the top of a hill? Coast to it.

One thing that appears to be a common trait among hypermilers is that our brakes tend to last a long time. Having built up that kinetic energy by burning fuel, we're loath to throw it away as waste heat in the brakes.

Another Civic in the garage!

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Welcome to EM. We have virtually the same car. Civics are common here (and everywhere, haha). What are your plans for the car?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Nissan
Thanks and yeah ever since I bought it I've seen more and more just like it. My goal right now is to get 45mpg. I've changed the way I drive, I use to drive 80 mph back and forth on my way to school and so. Now I drive 60 and I'm up to 33ish mpg which I an improvement to 27mpg. As soon as I can afford a scan gauge I'm going to buy one. I've acquired some cardboard to make a belly pan, diffuser templates.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeEcoNukem View Post
Thanks and yeah ever since I bought it I've seen more and more just like it. My goal right now is to get 45mpg. I've changed the way I drive, I use to drive 80 mph back and forth on my way to school and so. Now I drive 60 and I'm up to 33ish mpg which I an improvement to 27mpg. As soon as I can afford a scan gauge I'm going to buy one. I've acquired some cardboard to make a belly pan, diffuser templates.
Nice progress. Driving more slowly is a key strategy. When fuel prices go back up, you'll be glad you learned how to do this more effectively.

You have an automatic so there will be limits to the gains you can have compared to my manual. That's because some of the biggest gains come from engine off coasting and you cannot do that with an auto. But there are a couple totally free things you can do easily and right away.

(1) Our 1998 Civics have deceleration fuel cut off mode, which you can learn to use. Once the car is reasonably warm and if you are over 1500 RPMs when you take your foot of the accelerator the computer will shut fuel off to the engine. So practice coasting to a stop in gear. Also, whenever you'll be sitting for more than 10 or15 seconds you can shut the engine off to save fuel. Do that in park.

(2) Pump up the tire pressure and monitor it. In my experience, Chevron stations all let you pump air for free. When it comes time to buy new tires, find low rolling resistance tires. All the high fuel economy cars, electric and hybrid, use them. They save significant fuel.

james
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-24-2016, 04:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Welcome to the site. You'll definitely get up past 33 mpg. Just give it a little time.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Nissan
Thank you for the knowledge about our civics, I will do the things you said to try. I had to buy tires as soon as I bought the car so I bought michelin defenders. I've put new rotors and brakes on the front. I want to replace all the suspension bushing around the car. I get rearend sway around 60 mph. Thanks for welcoming to the site.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Nissan
Is there anywhere on this site that says what the optimum for mpg ECT and IAT should be with out over heating and causing hotspots in the cylinders. I'm just curious so I know before I start to block off the grill and bumper.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Those variables differ from engine to engine. You'll really only know once you start testing things out. Most everyone runs a stock or warmer thermostat, that is the only real way to control ECT. IAT can be controlled with a warm/cold intake, warm is preferred for mileage but it will reduce maximum power.