View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
metroschultz
Master EcoModder

CPT SLO - '93 GEO Metro plainjane
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

SilverHairBeauty - '01 Toyota Avalon XL
90 day: 24.06 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to metroschultz
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH77 View Post
The lowest I could get the engine to turn was 400 RPM. Does anyone know if this is too low to pump vital fluids (tranny, oil, etc.)??? I can coast-down in top gear in "D" and it just gently dies after 400 R's, or if I downshift to 3rd, it comes back alive (same with feathering of the throttle). Maybe the switch will allow some more creative control over the process.

Side note: it seems to idle fine at 400-500 RPM -- could this be a fuel saver? I tried the A/C and maxed-out the electrical load and it was fine -- no stalls.

RH77

P.S. Thanks for moving the thread -- clogging up the EBH info, off-topic and all
Short Answer, Yes.

Low rpm will still deliver adequate oil distribution to all your vitals in the engine, and in a manual trans.
Caveat to auto owners, most of the autos in passenger cars have a stall speed near ~ 1200 rpm.
This means below 75% or ~ 800 rpm there is not enough fluid pressure in the torque for operation. AND.
below 50% or ~ 600 rpm there won't be enough fluid pressure to lubricate the rotating assembly in the case.
I can't remember which tranny you've got, and they are not all identical. These are just rough numbers.

That Said,
Many newer cars use fuzzy logic in the controls for the engine and follow your particular driving habits to keep the rpm as low as possible at idle.

SOOO

For greater savings, lower idle is better, no idle (EO) is better still.

Since my car is three colors of blue with one black fender, I get many DIRTY looks when I restart at lights. toobad soosad yourdad,
they also hate me when I put in $11.5 at the pump and tell 'em I've been driving for three Weeks.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein