View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
cfg83
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Rear Wheel Skirt using water heater drain pan

Hello -

(Subsequent edits in red)

After working with blackjackel on his rear wheel skirt, I decided to work on mine. I was also influenced by the positive feedback of Xringer's Short Skirt's thread.

My philosophy is to try to find a "ready-made" part I can re-use for mods. I have been looking for a "pie-pan" with a big enough circumference to fit on my car for over a year. I found this 26" diameter plastic drain pan at Home Depot for $10 (you can also get this pan in metal) :

I did a test fit on my car and it was "close enough" for me :

These are three Paint-Shop-Pro mockups of the plastic pan in different configurations :

I settled on drain pan cut in half with a 10 degree angle. I like it because it is angled to match the "upsweep" of the rear bumper, and one drain pan will be enough for both rear wheels :

Here it is in reality on my car :

Front/Back detail views (the front could have front wheel spoilers, i.e. mudflaps, extend down) :

Connection Description :

Benefits :

0 - 99% reversible. If I take them off, there are only little holes I drilled where I connected them, and in places that are not viewable.

1 - Solid ready-made shape that already "wraps around" the tire.

2 - Relatively easy to remove. Unscrew three bolts and cut the Zipties.

3 - All plastic. If the connections fail, I think it would do less damage to the wheel (or someone else).

4 - Close tolerances. I can put my hand under it, so that's about 1/2" clearance.

Problems :

1 - It's a PITA to install.

2 - Still not the right size (kind of fixed in post #13). The metal pan would have been more "malleable", but I am leery of attaching metal if I don't absolutely have to (see benefit #3 above).

3 - The gaps are bad for aero. I intend to address this with stick-on spongy insulation tape (fixed in post #12).

4 - The front-most Ziptie is lame aesthetically. This was the fastest secure way to install it. I have an idea how to perfect that, but I need to do more research on connections (fixed in post #14).

5 - Hard corner angles are not aero-friendly. But, for a more ambitiuous builder, the heater drain pan could be the "foundation" for a more aero-clean implementation.

At this point I have one skirt on. I will test drive it tomorrow on the freeway and see how it holds up.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society

Last edited by cfg83; 09-04-2008 at 06:38 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to cfg83 For This Useful Post:
TOOQIKK (09-02-2011)