View Single Post
Old 10-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,514 Times in 1,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Those are my thoughts as well. I used to like driving - back when I lived in Eastern Tennessee with interesting winding roads and very little traffic. The last 10 years have been in major metro areas where driving involves sitting in traffic for hours. I would happily allow a robot to drive my commute for me.

What I don't get is the idea that autonomous cars will reduce the number of cars on the road. As long as the majority of people leave for work at the same time every day and refuse to carpool the number of cars stays the same. The number of cars still has to match the peak travel volume.
If individual ownership goes down, and autonomous software detects 3 or 4 people who live near each other are going to the same place, it would be very convenient to step out of your front door, sit down in a recliner, eat your bagel while waiting to get to work. I don't think I'd feel the need to pay $xx,xxx to own a moving room so that I don't ever have to share it with someone else, especially if nobody is driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Xist (10-22-2016)