View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #1625 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,511 Times in 1,551 Posts
In a G1, fuel economy is essentially the same with IMA enabled or disabled, you just end up with a slower 0-60 time. Plenty of people over on IC run theirs with the IMA disabled and have reported this, and you can ask forum member "Cowmeat" about his experience with driving with his IMA disabled, he'll tell you the same. Even in city driving there's not a lot of difference so long as you're not revving the motor up to make up for the lower acceleration, you only really see a difference from the lack of auto-stop. And, for what it's worth, the Elio's reported 0-60 time is about the same as the Insight's as measured by Car and Driver, with the Insight weighing in at ~50% heavier, and a similar engine + electric assist.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
Success!

Still maintaining 70+ mpg 700+ mile tanks even after losing the IMA functions! I have driven Ron Burgundy over 18,000 miles in less than 17 months, and filled up 29 times for a total of 542.91, or a little under 3 cents a mile.

Oh, and my tag is working well! People take one glance at it and they can't get around me fast enough! No more tailgaters for me
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-31253-24.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I'm learning to drive the Insight a lot more efficiently after losing the IMA functions.

This tank put me back to the mpg I was pulling with full assist, and other than the speedier take-offs I used to get with the battery functioning, I haven't really missed it.

I'm starting to think my grid charger is what killed it, rather than the discharger. My son grid charged his using the same grid charger this weekend and he's already having issues.