View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 12:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Replacing mirrors with cameras

Although I'm going to also be posting this in my build thread, chances are good it will have a wider appeal than just those looking at what I'm doing to my Insight.

After reading extensively on the variety of cheap Chinese junk available on Amazon, I decided on these cameras:

E-KYLIN Vehicle Car Auto Side View Camera, 360 Degree Angle Adjustable Side Mirror Flush Mount Camera, Mirror Image w/o Grid Lines, 22.5mm Hole Saw - Pack of 2

These LCDs:

5” Inch Digital TFT LCD Color Car Rear View Monitor Screen for Parking Backup Camera ,Support all the car with 12V/24V Power,High Definition 800(RGB)X480 Pixel

And also, a pair of these convex mirrors to go just inside my windows for safety's sake:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Today my cameras arrived, and I hooked one up to an old 24" computer monitor I had in my basement.

The image quality in practice looks better than the still suggests, and you're not going to miss a motorcycle in your blind spot. Low light performance is yet to be determined but they aren't doing half bad in my dark apartment. One nice thing about these cameras is that they seem to sample their exposure from the darkest parts of the image, meaning they don't flare out if you have a bright light pointed at them.

My plan is to install blanks where my existing mirrors are, and use the included hole saw to plant the cameras into them. I'm not 100% certain of the screen locations yet but I'm considering having one to either side of the steering wheel, near my vents. If this proves too distracting at night, I'll figure something else out.

Last edited by Ecky; 12-13-2016 at 12:38 AM..