View Single Post
Old 06-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #21 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
I am using black PVC, I think. What I like about it is it is capable of absorbing and holding heat longer than the dryer hose I originally used. I imagine that means on longish drives it becomes quite warm and helps heat or sustain the heat of the air pulled from over the exhaust manifold. Keep in mind that the shape and texture of the tube affects sound and I have seen smart people claim that it effects efficiency too, even though one would imagine the throttle plate would undo any effects engineered into the intake tubing.

BTW, hey, your mention of an intercooler tipped me off that I misunderstood... you have the 1.4 turbo and not the 1.8 NA! Didn't mean to dis your ride. That turbo is still a great vehicle choice. Much simpler than a hybrid or EV (which are also fascinating but I guess not for me yet).

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.