View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #128 (permalink)
bennelson
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy View Post
my information comes from an auto mechanic of over 30 years.......... I work hard for my money and if I want to spend it on gas then by god I will.
I think part of the problem is that we do have lots of people thinking "old-school" about these things. In many ways, cars have changed a LOT in the past three decades.

People have many different reasons for wanting to save gas. Even if I were filthy rich, I would still try to save gas. It is a limited resource. In my opinion, the only responsible thing to do is try to be conservative with it, no matter what the current price of gasoline is, or may ability to pay that price.

We are starting to see this change as part of our culture now. In many ways, the general population is starting to look down on fuel-inefficient vehicles, and hybrids and fuel-efficient cars are becoming "cool".

I recently saw a television commercial for Mitsubishi, advertising four cars each with four-cylinder engines. That was the SELLING-POINT was that they were four-cylinder, and it was a pretty slick add.

This bit of the conversation seems to be getting a little off from the topic of just listing hypermiling tips. No need to start a flame war here. Perhaps we should have a "Debates" section?

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos