Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Did you pick up any new tips from the list?
Yes 267 92.39%
No 22 7.61%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #121 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
I also mean no disrespect. But, the above is a great post as an example of common ignorance. Thank you for your time put in to registering to demonstrate this.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-21-2008, 08:20 AM   #122 (permalink)
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy View Post
In my opinion, and by no means do I mean any disrespect, I think that almost the entirety of this list is BS.
Good job! First post and you trash all the work other made during years.

Except that one point you dislikes (stop&start engine instead of being idle), which points do you like ? which ones are you using ?which ones will you use ?

Personally I like the idea to stop the engine while coasting.
I will never stop my engine while coasting because my cars have not been conceived to work this way.
Until now I'm using DWB, moderate accelerations and quick gear shift up.

With that my last tank is at 36% over EPA and 42% over what I was doing before eco-driving.

About you comment
Quote:
If you cannot afford the gas, DON'T BUY A CAR!!!!!
:thumbdown:

Thanks in advance,

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #123 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Turning off the engine is a legitimate fuel saver; I was working for Ford when they were testing it.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:16 AM   #124 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
bimmerguy, your "opinion" is squarely at odds with the major automakers which are all rolling out auto stop/start systems (including BMW with its "efficient dynamics" technology). You need to do a bit more research.

The fact is that shutting down the engine while stopped nets significant fuel savings, which negates your points 1 & 2, which is why it is appearing on more and more cars as standard equipment.

As for your point 3, not enough oil drains down in the course of a few seconds or minutes to matter in terms of wear. The line you hear about starting an engine being hard on it refers to a cold soak start, not a warm one.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 08-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #125 (permalink)
Banned

3 Series - '99 BMW 323i
my information comes from an auto mechanic of over 30 years. I don't use any of the hipermiling techniques, I think the idea is rediculous. I work hard for my money and if I want to spend it on gas then by god I will. I am not denying that hipermiling at it's extremes will improve gas milage, I am just stating that it can be taken too far. I think turning your car off at any point unless you are parking is stupid. As a motorcyclist, I understand the need to get out of the way quickly at times. It is kind of hard to do that with the car off. Automakers aren't shutting the engine off completely, much like the northstar system in cadillacs, only a portion of the cylinders aren't being fed gasoline.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 AM   #126 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Ummm... yes they are turning the engine off. The engine is off - not turning at all. Honda's hybrids do it. Toyota's hybrids do it. Ford's hybrids do it. GM's hybrids do it. As mentioned above, other makers, like your own BMW, are also designing systems to do the same.

UPS has a policy for their drivers to shut down any time they're stopped for deliveries. You can be sure they studied it in detail and found it worthwhile.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #127 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Hypermiling in its simplest form can provide substancial gains as shown by the multitude of members here. There is not even a basis to argue that.

You are also wrong about automakers providing technology that shuts engines off completely. If you had done what Metro asked you would know this.

Your ignorance on this subject and the attitude of "I work hard for my money and if I want to spend it on gas then by god I will." is exactly why gas prices are high to begin with. High demand brings about high prices. This not only leads to higher gas prices, but higher prices of everything that is shipped which is pretty much everything you will ever buy. Gasoline and diesel prices effect everything. What happens when high prices start putting truckers out of business? Demand for trucking goes up and prices increase. Its a chain effect and I'm sorry that you are too blind to see it. You and others like you are the main problem.

If you continue to post here with this continued attitude you will simply be banned. Your posts are neither constructive nor helpful to anyone here.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #128 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
Quote:
my information comes from an auto mechanic of over 30 years.......... I work hard for my money and if I want to spend it on gas then by god I will.
I think part of the problem is that we do have lots of people thinking "old-school" about these things. In many ways, cars have changed a LOT in the past three decades.

People have many different reasons for wanting to save gas. Even if I were filthy rich, I would still try to save gas. It is a limited resource. In my opinion, the only responsible thing to do is try to be conservative with it, no matter what the current price of gasoline is, or may ability to pay that price.

We are starting to see this change as part of our culture now. In many ways, the general population is starting to look down on fuel-inefficient vehicles, and hybrids and fuel-efficient cars are becoming "cool".

I recently saw a television commercial for Mitsubishi, advertising four cars each with four-cylinder engines. That was the SELLING-POINT was that they were four-cylinder, and it was a pretty slick add.

This bit of the conversation seems to be getting a little off from the topic of just listing hypermiling tips. No need to start a flame war here. Perhaps we should have a "Debates" section?

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 08-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #129 (permalink)
EV OR DIESEL

FarFarfrumpumpen - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon GLS Premium

Quorra - '12 Tesla Model S P85
Send a message via AIM to dremd
Quote:
In my opinion, and by no means do I mean any disrespect, I think that almost the entirety of this list is BS. I drive a 1999 BMW 323i, and on the freeway, I get 30mpg, around town, 22-25. If you cannot afford the gas, DON'T BUY A CAR!!!!! The one that erks me the most is "shut off your engine if you are going to be stopped for more than a few seconds." This is an all around bad idea. Here is my reasoning:
Since no one ever seems to reply to these comments; I will.

First off I must admit that I felt the same way as you not all that long ago; and I felt like a lot of these hypermiling tequniques was like drinking the coolaide.

The way I figure it is if you use 30% less fuel then you can spend that $ on something else.

With that being said

Quote:
1) The gas required for a vehicle to idle is almost none at all. You WILL NOT be at a stop light long enough for it to matter. The gas required to start your car with the engine shut off requires much more gas than sitting at idle. Just watch your tachometer next time you start your car, the needle jumps up doesn't it? Just remember simple physics, "...an object in motion tends to stay in motion, an object at rest tends to stay at rest..."
First off engine off uses 0 fuel Starting uses some fuel, but not much more than idiling for the ammount of time that the starter is spinning.

In my Opinion overall break even is 30 seconds, for fuel only it's probably 5 seconds. it requires very little fuel to start a car

And in the personal evidence department it was worth 4 mpg in my supra and is worth 8~10 mpg in my golf.

Quote:
2) By starting your car, you are draining the battery. The engine will have to use more power from the alternator to replace this power, therefore increasing the auxiliary load on your engine, therefore lowering fuel economy.
Believe it or not the electrical requrement isn't all that great. (take a look at the guys whith no alternators, they use their starter quite a bit and don't have a way to recharge without issue.) If your car requires long cranking to start a warm engine then the break even point will be longer (15 seconds?).

Quote:
3) Increased wear and tear on your engine and starter. By shutting your engine off, you are then draining your oil back into the oil pan. Thus relying on the oil left "hanging" on the parts to sufficiently lube all the moving parts on start up. This is why it is said that starting your engine is the harshest thing you can do to your engine. The increase in maintenance cost will offset the savings in fuel cost.
Mine's still working :-)
I have not yet heard of anybody on this forum replacing a starter yet. appears to be a non issue.
I must admit that it is hard to believe.
I have seen someone work it out for 4x increased starter wear and it still worked out cheaper. Does anybody remember this?

Quote:
I apologize for the rant, and I mean no disrespect, but some of these ideas are ludicrous. You should just drive normally, and you will not cause an accident, and you will not beat your engine up.
I'm in no way offended, I don't believe that anyone else is either.
IMHO some of the ideas are EXTREME and are only useful in competition.
IMHO all of them can be used in the correct situation safely now as far as everyday it is unlikely that many use more that a dozen or so.

Edit: Well I see others have replied; but I will let my post stand.
Gone 2013 Nissan LEAF SV
2012 Nissan LEAF SV
6 speed ALH TDI Swapped in to a 2003 Jetta Wagon
Old 08-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #130 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well, the government of our province, who has done extensive research on this, has put out a brochure saying that idling more than 20 seconds is a waste of fuel and that there will be no adverse effects on the engine. So, who are less knowledgeable people such as you and me to argue with them?

Nobody is talking about shutting off the engine at traffic lights - that is ludicrous! We are talking of wanton waste of fuel during unnecessary idling.

Don't jump to conclusions that those of us who care about saving gas cannot afford cars. My vehicle is worth over $120,000 - I can buy two BMW's with that. We just happen to care about the environment.

Reply  Post New Thread