View Single Post
Old 11-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #39 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Probably 90% yeah. I don't really care to live by the cultural dogma and "rules". Live and let live, I like what I eat and enjoy sharing it with others. I don't have any negative feelings whatsoever about other diets.

I was an omnivore until around 7 years ago. I started dating someone, she was a vegan, I started eating that way too and enjoyed it. Can't say I really miss anything I don't eat anymore.

Seitan can be rich and very filling, but it's not something I like to eat a huge plate of on its own. Seitan on a sandwich with a side of soup or maybe a salad is great, but eating a big bowl of it alone leaves me with a very "heavy", sluggish feeling. I'm reluctant to say it resembles meat, because if you expect meat when you eat it, you're going to be disappointed. That's probably true of most things though. Don't expect them to be what they aren't. Meat isn't a seitan replacement, just as much as seitan isn't a meat replacement, but you can often use them in similar places.

Making it is pretty easy, and there are two recipes I tend toward:

1) This one produces seitan that I'm more likely to use in a recipe that calls for beef. Basically mix some spices, kneed it for a few minutes, then put it on low heat to boil for a few hours, expand and firm up:

https://www.bobsredmill.com/recipes/.../basic-seitan/

2) This one uses a lot of seasonings that give it a lighter flavor, and cutting it with chicpeas changes the texture and makes it a lot less "heavy". It's basically "mix, bread and fry", can be made in about 15 minutes:

https://www.rabbitandwolves.com/vega...y-maple-syrup/

^ Depending on how far you blend the chicpeas, it can have a dramatic effect on how it comes out. I personally prefer it almost a paste, it seems to hold together better.

I probably eat tempeh more frequently though. I greatly enjoy "TLT" sandwiches, because when you fry the **** out of it, it kinda does what bacon does.

EDIT: I should probably add that I'm also a southpaw, so I'm probably a nexus of evil.

Last edited by Ecky; 11-26-2017 at 10:52 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-26-2017)