View Single Post
Old 01-08-2018, 11:51 AM   #115 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Right, I think we're on the same page now. The question is, what method will you use to implement it?

I make hybrid bicycles all the time. The controllers can be found for as little as $20 on eBay, can support several thousand watts, and allow for both regenerative braking and acceleration. I bet you could find an inexpensive controller for use in your car, though not $20 cheap. There are some threads floating around in the EV section on this site for DIY controllers, maybe that would be a good place to start? You can attach virtually any controller to virtually any motor.

Regarding the motor, probably the easiest and cheapest is a belt-mounted hybrid motor/generator - it can go in place of the alternator, bolted to the engine, with a beefier belt. Other options are motors attached in-line with the driveshaft (requires custom driveshaft, but has advantages), or hub motors in the wheels (more unsprung weight, but has its own advantages). The motor in most simple hybrids is bolted to the engine. You could even pick your own motor (pull one from a dead forklift?) and fabricate your own mounts and belt pulley for it.