View Single Post
Old 04-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #337 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Wheel mod: Plasti Dip 7-Hole Imola MINI rims/wheels

So, I have been busy with the modification of my 2006 MINI seven hole rims. The plan had been clear plasti, but when thoroughly cleaned up I realized there were defects and scratches that would not produce the "new" look I was hoping for. I want to contrast rotting paint with clean wheels. I had lots of black Plasti and my near-16 year old daughter likes black wheels (and hates my car, lol). So, when I concluded black was better than silver with the green pin stripes I planned... here ya go. Pics:

First job was cleaning. Before:

After cleaning:

After painting the first wheel with four coasts of Black Plasti and clear glossifier and UV protectant, parts bubbled-up in the trench with the valve stem. I discovered why. What I thought was faded paint was a peeling, DIY silver paint!

To avoid a recurrence of bubbling plasti, I used dict tape to pull off the weakest paint and then cleaned again. Finally, I used light dusting coats of plasti in the affected areas before full-on painting the wheel. Here is a detail of a light coat:

Four coats black and two coats UV protective glossifier on each wheel. I also used my "Stripe-It-All" tool to apply a forest green pin stripe. Final product with stripe:

Closeup with stripe:

Even though it could look good, the pin stripe was a disappointment. It went on easily and evenly. Nice tool! But no matter what I did the tool tore the plasti. So I only completed one wheel. Closeup with ripping of plasti:

THAT WAS REALLY DISAPPOINTING.

So, I have decided against the stripe until I have a better method or am ready to really paint them. Painters tape applied along the surface the tool runs along might protect the Plasti well enough. But for now, here is the final look without a stripe. I like the white lettering (paint pen):

NEXT STEPS
I will return to blanking the seven holes in each wheel, using a modified version of the method I wrote up a few posts ago. The blanking needs more reinforcement, of course. More write up later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI rim dirty.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	23898   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI rim cleaned.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	23899   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI rim detail light coat.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	23900   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI rim with stripe & black plasti.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	23901   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI rim detail green stripe.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	23902  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI rim white letters.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	23903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180411_130005 (1).jpg
Views:	273
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	23904  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.