Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #331 (permalink)
Master procastinator

Turan turan - '09 Volkswagen Touran Freestyle

Combot - '04 Opel Combo Tour
90 day: 40.37 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
What does anyone think of the color of that forest green pin stripe againstbthe silver OEM finish? I am still learning to use the tool I bought for applying the tape, so this was done quick and freehand. I think I like the colors, maybe. It is different.
You can also see a bit of my letter painting. I am considering dopey highlights of words and letter on the sidewalls.
Looking good. Like you said, it is different. I myself would paint the whole "edge" of the rim.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #332 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
A little disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by iikhod View Post
Looking good. Like you said, it is different. I myself would paint the whole "edge" of the rim.
I had thought about doing the edge in black and let the green 1/4" pin stripe sit on that. But that's a color scheme everyone does... A stripe on black. I wanna explore a little.

Speaking of exploring, the plastidip on the hole fillings is not working so great. Here are three: far right is unpainted weed block on the foil tape, middle is one coat plasti done in place (resulting in bad overspray partly cleaned-up), and third from right is FOUR coats of plasti after removing the weed block circle. This picture makes it look more solidly black than it is.

I might wanna go looking for a more solid black lawn fabric and just buy it. I want UV stability and an easy process with a clean look (for DIY). This ain't it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
I think it looks pretty nice... should give you “most” of the benefits of a smooth wheel cover without the pain of attachment
Do you mean the stripe or the whole wheel looks good. What think u of the stripe?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180323_113243.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	23741  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-30-2018, 01:35 AM   #333 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Investigated alternate materials at Lowe's and I have decided to proceed with what I have on hand, so I bought more black plasti for the multiple layers needed, and some glossifier for UV protection of the black to prevent fading over time.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-30-2018, 11:55 PM   #334 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

SuperBrightLEDs order arrived today, so I had to play. The plate light is a new LED swap. And on the right is the new brighter LED replacement for the dead LED. Much better! (I got 2, but I wanted to SEE the difference. Also did some new McGiver-style lighting inside (using green LEDs).

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180330_203745.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	23786  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (04-01-2018), PaleMelanesian (04-02-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 11:15 PM   #335 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Finished radiator fan cut off/on

I can turn the radiator on, on demand, which means I can keep long hill-climb temps down better than the ECU. It also means I can force cooling during DFCO so that "free" power is the source. Also, at lights or other engine-off jags, I can cool the coolant in the radiator itself before engine-on circulates it more.

Here are pics of the set up.

For the power I chose the unused AC condenser fan motor connector, seen on left in this schematic (highlighted in yellow):

here it is photographed:

I made a simple and stealthy wire connector using flat male and female terminals soldered onto the wire. It is meant to be sturdy but easily reversible. Here you can see the conduit and the two ends, including the connection to the radiator fan motor wire (the crimp connector is blue):

When installed, it is almost completely invisible. Here is the conduit under the sill and latch for the hood. In two minute I can reverse the whole set up for visual inspection before SMOG testing, if necessary:

Switch is on the dash.

DOWNSIDE: I have to activate the AC switch and have the cabin fan running. Hahaha! At some future point I may simply change where I scavenge power, but this was convenient, stealthy, and required the least alteration to the stock wiring harnesses. I just plugged into the unused condenser fan motor connector. That was hard to pass up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180329_222834.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	23798   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180330_161500.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	23799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180331_142648.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	23800   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180331_145355.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	23801  

Last edited by California98Civic; 04-02-2018 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: Error in img syntax
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (04-01-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 07:10 PM   #336 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Working on the wiring routes for (1) my bumper cover mounted charging port and (2) my battery relocation the the trunk, and I found an ant colony behind a panel. Hahaha. And then this window crack. I repaired one on my wife's car last fall. This is a runner beginning with a chip. Gonna try and fix it with a kit, if possible. Grrr!

And here is the current prototype of the charge port. As usual, I am practicing the "lookalike" fabrication method. This charge port is made of a store bought plug plus two used oil seals (one from my car and one found in the road), a used circular oil seal spring from my car, and a used medicine bottle (cut to fit & plasti-dipped in black). Three small neodymium magnets inside the medicine bottle hold it over the prongs as a rain cover, or hold it to the circular spring when plug is in use for charging. It cannot be shaken off. Love those magnets! Total cost is maybe 6 bucks right now.

I HAVE NOT FORGOTTEN my still incomplete wheel mod started above. I just need to finish bumper cover off mods first. Too much stuff to do & not enough time!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-03-30 10.27.11.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	23819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180402_155635.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	23820  

Last edited by California98Civic; 04-03-2018 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: Typos... I really shoulkd proof read this stuff!!
The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (04-03-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #337 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Wheel mod: Plasti Dip 7-Hole Imola MINI rims/wheels

So, I have been busy with the modification of my 2006 MINI seven hole rims. The plan had been clear plasti, but when thoroughly cleaned up I realized there were defects and scratches that would not produce the "new" look I was hoping for. I want to contrast rotting paint with clean wheels. I had lots of black Plasti and my near-16 year old daughter likes black wheels (and hates my car, lol). So, when I concluded black was better than silver with the green pin stripes I planned... here ya go. Pics:

First job was cleaning. Before:

After cleaning:

After painting the first wheel with four coasts of Black Plasti and clear glossifier and UV protectant, parts bubbled-up in the trench with the valve stem. I discovered why. What I thought was faded paint was a peeling, DIY silver paint!

To avoid a recurrence of bubbling plasti, I used dict tape to pull off the weakest paint and then cleaned again. Finally, I used light dusting coats of plasti in the affected areas before full-on painting the wheel. Here is a detail of a light coat:

Four coats black and two coats UV protective glossifier on each wheel. I also used my "Stripe-It-All" tool to apply a forest green pin stripe. Final product with stripe:

Closeup with stripe:

Even though it could look good, the pin stripe was a disappointment. It went on easily and evenly. Nice tool! But no matter what I did the tool tore the plasti. So I only completed one wheel. Closeup with ripping of plasti:

THAT WAS REALLY DISAPPOINTING.

So, I have decided against the stripe until I have a better method or am ready to really paint them. Painters tape applied along the surface the tool runs along might protect the Plasti well enough. But for now, here is the final look without a stripe. I like the white lettering (paint pen):

NEXT STEPS
I will return to blanking the seven holes in each wheel, using a modified version of the method I wrote up a few posts ago. The blanking needs more reinforcement, of course. More write up later.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MINI rim dirty.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	23898   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI rim cleaned.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	23899   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI rim detail light coat.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	23900   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI rim with stripe & black plasti.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	23901   Click image for larger version

Name:	MINI rim detail green stripe.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	23902  

Name:	MINI rim white letters.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	23903   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180411_130005 (1).jpg
Views:	272
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	23904  

Old 04-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #338 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Those look really at home on the Civic. What's the wheel/tire combo weigh? I feel like restoring the stock wheels and covers have a nice aero profile, but lighter wheels are a bonus.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 04-11-2018, 08:23 PM   #339 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
I like the stripe. There is some possibility that after the Plastidip cures for 30 days it would be more durable. There is a remover fluid (some combination of two solvents) that you could wipe across the tears to feather them. (I haven't tried that)

Old 04-11-2018, 08:45 PM   #340 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I like the stripe. There is some possibility that after the Plastidip cures for 30 days it would be more durable. There is a remover fluid (some combination of two solvents) that you could wipe across the tears to feather them. (I haven't tried that)
Thanks fornthe 30 day curing tip. I will keep that in mind. They are kinda rubbery right now. Huh. Maybe I just tried too soon. Dang. We'll see. The "Dip Your Car" guys have a youtube vid on the feathering with a remover solvent. Looks likena good strategy. Man, the little projects pile up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Those look really at home on the Civic. What's the wheel/tire combo weigh? I feel like restoring the stock wheels and covers have a nice aero profile, but lighter wheels are a bonus.
After the look, which I love, these wheels have three great features I really wanted: twelve pounds, 15", and a pretty aero shape that felt I could figure out how to make into a unique aero wheel by blanking the holes. Stay tuned. That's next.

My test drive past a radar speed readout checkpoint shows a big change in the data from the TPS as a result of the wheels. I am guessing 4-8% reduced speed/RPM. Gonna track it better with a GPS.

Reply  Post New Thread