View Single Post
Old 05-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #121 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
What I did was bend some 3/4” steel strapping material into a shape resembling a capital U with an upside down L and attach it to the fender lip with JB Weld(semi permanent) and still a 5/16” hole in the tab it creates... attach the wheel skirt to it with a 1/4” nylon rivet
My wheel well skirts are very similar. But the skirt overlaps the exterior of the body, creating a clamping effect between the clip, skirt, and body exterior. The hold has been durable over maybe 30,000 miles or more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Ease of removal is key though. I don't want to have to weld or drill, and there doesn't really seem to be any other way.
My skirts are easily removed, completely. When I remove the shirt from the clip, nothing holds the clip on the lip of the wheel well but light mechanical tension. Sometimes the clips fall to the ground on their own after I remove the skirt. I would recommend using some trim tape or black caulk as a cushion between the skirt and the body, because the paint does get scratched, not that I care much because the scratches are under the skirt.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.