View Single Post
Old 05-06-2018, 09:24 AM   #126 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Even if it's folded over itself for double thickness before using?
If you have it on hand then I say experiment with it. Doubling-up and perhaps bonding the two plys to each other with JB Weld, if you have it, might create a good, rigid clip, I think.

Quote:
Copper...pipe? Did you have to hammer it flat?
Yes. And if I were to do it again, I might have tried to cut the pipe lengthwise first, if possible with my tools.

Quote:
How about something like these flat copper bars?
Three mm thickness looks good to me.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh on another note, how about something radical like this?:

I love flat spoilers and want one. But if I were doing these I would need to test these mods in cardboard before committing. The tail of the Civic was already optimized, even though it is not "template," and so little changes might create more problems than benefits. Somewhere on EM MetroMPG has his 7th Gen Civic kammback and boat-tail build thread. He was surprised by the difficulty in creating an improvement. Check that thread out, if you have not already seen it.

For wheel skirts I would recommend a shape that just executes the narrower task of the wheel.

Xist:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Those bars should be about as thick as 1" pipe if you do not hammer it too much. I always wondered why people hammer pipes instead of purchasing something ready to use. They already had it?
...or they bought pipe because that was how MetroMPG did it and they did not know about copper bars, lol!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.