View Single Post
Old 05-13-2018, 08:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Is the missing gasket material stuck to the head & block, or is it just gone?
It seemed mostly just to be gone. Not all areas were all that contaminated beyond a little discoloring. Around #1 & #2 there were deposits stuck to the surface of head and block that I interpreted as carbon and maybe gasket material. #3 & #4 were much cleaner, though cylinder top #4 was just as gummy as #1. I did the razor cleaning of the block mating surface, and though I did not want to dig too hard for fear of gouging some of what flaked-off the block must have been gasket material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Probably blown out and gone. Have a similar failure on 2 different cylinders on my 4Runner. No coolant in the oil, but oil in the coolant and catastrophic failure occurred after about 1500 miles of driving it with them 'mildly' blown. (burning off minor coolant and changing coolant every 200mi to keep it from getting too contaminated).
That was nearly my exact situation. And checking frequently revealed it had suddenly gotten much worse in a couple hundred miles. Still was not nearly fully blown, btw. But unmistakably headed toward the death of the engine without intervention.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.