View Single Post
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #108 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bense View Post
... Wait, why are we talking about AWD on ecomodder?
... But I am sure nobody here minds. We sometimes have guys developing quick/fast & fuel efficient cars here. And there are lots of trucks and diesels and such.[/quote]

Quote:
... the 1g insight 5MT and the 7g USDM civic D17 5MT share a lot in common. However, direction that the helical gears are cut are backwards from one another. D17 is a counter clockwise (CCW) engine, whereas insight is CW. ...
Cool info. Is that true of the 03-05 Civic Hybrid manual, too? The helical gear is CCW?

Quote:
... I have yet to see anyone on here convert their D16 (such as d16y7 or d16y8) 96-00 civic engine so that it can run the D16y5 head. This is what you guys should be doing. On a d16y7, y'all should do a 'mini-me' head swap, and then run the HX ecu, along with a 5-wire o2 sensor so that you can get the ECUs lean-burn activated. ...
It is probably partly due to cost. Lots of what happens here is first to immediately reduce fuel costs. That limits discussion sometimes. But I have thought about swapping the d16y5 cam onto my d16y7. I wonder a little about Cali smog testing. Also, if you use the y5 head on a y7 won't you need to swap the intake manifold in addition to the ECU and the O2 sensors? The y7 intake is differently designed . It does not have EGR. And it does not have a knock sensor. Without a knock sensor present, the HX ECU will possibly throw a CEL and lean burn won't work.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.