Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2017, 11:39 AM   #101 (permalink)
lead foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post

This is a tougher one and a bit beyond my personal experience... too little time right now... I gotta run to work, but have you asked the sellers for codes from the transmission bell housing? If you can get codes you might get somewhere. Otherwise, the best technique will always be laying your hands on an example and counting flywheel rotations and gear teeth!

Maybe there are others reading this thread who can help more. gotta go!...
I haven't found a code but I did find the car
2003 Honda Civic Ferio C4 (up to mid-year 2003 for Japan ) specs review

gear ratios according to this are

1-3.5
2-1.956
3-1.344
4-1.034
5-0.787

FD-4.562

Im not sure these are correct as they don't really fit in the charts but they are really good for me if true and If I can get a rear end. Im assuming the CRV will work since they swap between AWD generations but Id really like to find something on this before I buy...... which right now there are none on eBay.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #102 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes buying the whole gearbox would be the chepest way but as I mentioned few post earlier I'm not on US and I do not know Of any of European models have the long 5th gear with 0.71 ratio 😀

Thats why I need to get exact part numbers what to order in US 😀 Tomorrow I will try to contact honda dealer in Poland and get the answer again, we will see... 😀

Can you review one more time my last post with the www link to gearbox store and the part numbers O left there?

Marcin
Old 07-07-2017, 01:37 AM   #103 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin_t View Post
... are there any manuals where I can find gear ratios and some information about dimensions of shafts etc. for European engines? ...
There is always Automobile-Catalog the complete Catalog of Cars, car specs database... it is really extensive. And it seems to show really short gearing for these Euro Civics. For example, an 0.805 fifth gear with a 4.411 FD. But check out the Civic hybrid fifth gear: 0.756.

As for part numbers and suppliers on a short notice... I just don't know. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoBennie View Post

1-3.5
2-1.956
3-1.344
4-1.034
5-0.787

FD-4.562

Im not sure these are correct as they don't really fit in the charts but they are really good for me if true and If I can get a rear end. Im assuming the CRV will work since they swap between AWD generations but Id really like to find something on this before I buy...... which right now there are none on eBay.
I love that site, but I wonder how precise it is sometimes too. Only one way to find out... experiment. And those are some short gear ratios. You are in new terrain with a conversion list this. Pretty cool. Post your progress as it comes along. Start a build thread.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #104 (permalink)
lead foot

Quote:
I love that site, but I wonder how precise it is sometimes too. Only one way to find out... experiment. And those are some short gear ratios. You are in new terrain with a conversion list this. Pretty cool. Post your progress as it comes along. Start a build thread.
I have two Insight projects, I have a build thread for #1 which should be done soon but its a 6 month swap going on 3 years...
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...muter-3290050/

#2 I have been torn about (2001 5 speed, still in the trailer i picked it up in) I really want a bad ass off road machine for camping pulling my off road teardrop. I love the idea of an RDX Turbo drivetrain but have been looking at CRV B and K swap possibilities. When I was researching my legal options I looked hard at the D17 (Kpro capable for mandatory OBD port) and found a few of the equivalent D15s....... these are attached to the modern D AWD trans and I figured a D15 will make all the power Ill ever need (turbocharged of course) I saw two of these transmissions sell on eBay, one was a $250 buy it now...... anyways Ill start a thread for #2 here so I can keep rambling but as far as this thread goes, I want this trans to work so message me if you know things.
California98Civic (07-07-2017)
Old 05-14-2018, 02:18 AM   #105 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
Bense, these folks like to argue about lugging the engine even though You, Aquafina, and I have gotten insane MPG by spinning these little motors at higher rpms.

Close ratio ZC trans getting 48 mpg for example.

OH yeah, google search brought me back to ecomodder
*waves hello
Old 05-14-2018, 02:51 AM   #106 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:

1-3.5
2-1.956
3-1.344
4-1.034
5-0.787

FD-4.562

This is correct. The transmission honda used (disregarding EF wagon) All 96+ CCW engines (Yes, this includes D-series, see 1g HR-V) and is derived from the CR-V trans, which uses cable shifter, which AWD needs (no room for driveshaft + shift rod linkage)

The ratios you see for this ferio c4 wagon are similar to the T2T4 ratios. Except this AWD Ferio trans uses the awd mainshaft (shorter 1st gear, h22a4 2nd gear), then uses h22a4 3rd gear, GSR/h22a4 4th gear, along with a 0.787 5th. All 97+ CCW final drives are 4.562

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...-list-2548441/

The only gearing options one might want to do here is:
* T2W4 / U2Q7 (Type R) 1-5 swap
* swap to a h22a4 mainshaft and use Type R c/s 1st gear (cuz awd 3.5 first gear is dual synchro, like type R)
* b16 3rd and 4th gear swap
* F22/F23 Accord 0.685 fifth gear swap, but c/s 5th gear requires slight modification. (see https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ssion-2411948/ )

This would then fall under the criteria of the B20Z AWD trans.

Wait, why are we talking about AWD on ecomodder?
California98Civic (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 08:34 AM   #107 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm willing to bet that the inefficiency attributed to the increase in polar moment of inertia from larger diameter tires isn't enough to justify the switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
I am no expert but 48mpg is at the low end, the guy above you has 60+ mpg in his garage.

If we wanted under 50 I guess your right
Y'all are focusing too much on the numerical value that Bone mentioned that you're completely missing the point. The point is that gearing isn't going to change as much of the engine's efficiency as some of y'all seem to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysler kid View Post
I've had an s20 trans in an hx, and a factory s40 trans in an hx. For my driving style the shorter gearing was more efficient and easier to drive.

The worst hx I've ever had, had the original s40 long gear with an aftermarket store brand clutch and flywheel. I would have to red line the car just to keep up with traffic merging into the freeway
This is ambiguous.
's20' is any 92-95 civic D-series trans
's40' is any 96-00 civic D-series trans.

Quote:
I have an 01 insight 5 speed. apparently the FD is swappable with the 01-05 D17 gear boxes. I want to swap the D17 with HX trans and Insight 3.2 FD. Engine will be turbocharged and I estimate a 200whp output.
This might seem to be the case, as the 1g insight 5MT and the 7g USDM civic D17 5MT share a lot in common. However, direction that the helical gears are cut are backwards from one another. D17 is a counter clockwise (CCW) engine, whereas insight is CW.

I have yet to see anyone on here convert their D16 (such as d16y7 or d16y8) 96-00 civic engine so that it can run the D16y5 head. This is what you guys should be doing. On a d16y7, y'all should do a 'mini-me' head swap, and then run the HX ecu, along with a 5-wire o2 sensor so that you can get the ECUs lean-burn activated. -- If you've got a D16y8, all you gotta do is swap the cam + rocker assembly + intake manifold. You can even use parts from a d16b5 (GX engine) like I did in 2006.

If you're using a d17, mimic it as closely as you can to the 01-05 HX. Use gearing to keep the engine in lean burn mode according to whatever speed you drive.

Don't use aluminum flywheels, use chromoly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcin_t View Post
gearspeedwholesale.com/product_p/oegs-lx5gs.htm

it's quite expensive but it fits! and its ratio 0.71 or 0.710

I have found on other forum also something like this:

23461-PLW-C00
23581-PLW-C00

But nobody mention nothing about ger ratio on this parts and ai can't find that information nowhere.

But I cant find info

are there any manuals where I can find gear ratios and some information about dimensions of shafts etc. for European engines?

thanks in advance!
Marcin

The part numbers that you listed are the parts for both of the gears that you see listed on that gearspeed link. If you are overseas, it may be cheaper for you to purchase those two parts from your local Honda dealership.

27/38 = 0.7105263157894737

As you can see here, any specification listing of "0.710" is the result of truncating that ratio to 3 decimal places. "0.711" would be listed if the editor felt like rounding to 3 decimal places that day.

Be careful with some of the d17 transmissions in Europe, as some of them are derived from the F/H-series transmission, and they're dissimilar.
California98Civic (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #108 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bense View Post
... Wait, why are we talking about AWD on ecomodder?
... But I am sure nobody here minds. We sometimes have guys developing quick/fast & fuel efficient cars here. And there are lots of trucks and diesels and such.[/quote]

Quote:
... the 1g insight 5MT and the 7g USDM civic D17 5MT share a lot in common. However, direction that the helical gears are cut are backwards from one another. D17 is a counter clockwise (CCW) engine, whereas insight is CW. ...
Cool info. Is that true of the 03-05 Civic Hybrid manual, too? The helical gear is CCW?

Quote:
... I have yet to see anyone on here convert their D16 (such as d16y7 or d16y8) 96-00 civic engine so that it can run the D16y5 head. This is what you guys should be doing. On a d16y7, y'all should do a 'mini-me' head swap, and then run the HX ecu, along with a 5-wire o2 sensor so that you can get the ECUs lean-burn activated. ...
It is probably partly due to cost. Lots of what happens here is first to immediately reduce fuel costs. That limits discussion sometimes. But I have thought about swapping the d16y5 cam onto my d16y7. I wonder a little about Cali smog testing. Also, if you use the y5 head on a y7 won't you need to swap the intake manifold in addition to the ECU and the O2 sensors? The y7 intake is differently designed . It does not have EGR. And it does not have a knock sensor. Without a knock sensor present, the HX ECU will possibly throw a CEL and lean burn won't work.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:42 PM   #109 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Cool info. Is that true of the 03-05 Civic Hybrid manual, too? The helical gear is CCW?
03-05 Civic hybrid is L13
Old 07-16-2018, 03:16 PM   #110 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Found a great thread here on EM that I somehow missed three years ago when it was briefly flying. Want to link it here for reference. Lots of pics and great tips. Picture examples:

The guy does it the right way, step by step, carefully & thoroughly, without beating on the hardware. Great thread:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post475619

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (07-16-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread