View Single Post
Old 05-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
... Here's a plan to do 100% renewable energy: Our 100% Clean Energy Vision - The Solutions Project ...
Fun map. And these estimate and projections probably assume current technology, forgetting the possibility for breakthroughs in generation and storage tech.

Obviously, if the grid could become completely clean, this new aluminum process is all the more revolutionary. But there are entrenched political impediments. Maybe they can be cleared, but we certainly cannot wave it away.

I also would question the mining and production of "proprietary materials." Rio Tinto is a nasty miner. For example, they have a cruel and ecologically devastating mine proposal under development at Oak Flat in Arizona. An historic and sacred site to regional Apaches, also a state park, will be wiped off the map, turned into a giant toxic crater, because it is the most profitable way to get at the ore below. If that is how Rio Tinto hopes to get its "proprietary material" I think we might want to consider it a bit more closely and skeptically.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.