View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
... It sounds like you have yourself a Girl Genius.
I just got the Girl Genius reference! Lol. Yes, she is highly focused, until suddenly... distracted. Kid is good at math and chem, loves to dance, has the boys after her, and is skilled in rapid insult trading. I have raised a major multi-dimensional threat. I hope she never turns these powers on dear old Dad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
... Let me know all the tips, especially in keeping a girl from losing interest in things other than boys. Mine is 40 hrs old, so I've got some time to figure it out.
We had practices but I have few tips. A parent raising a child in like a musician trying to improvise melody over an ever-changing chord progression--with sudden key changes, sometimes as often as you adapt and as immediately. So, I learn from her about who she is becoming, and we talk with her about possible outcomes for choices and about not becoming anyone's tool--boys, schools, employers, or marketers. She is a free girl and nothing valuable is categorically forbidden (unless it is too expensive!). We like to emphasize her ability to do things for herself. We like to demystify things: if she is ready to ask about something, she is ready for a factual answer in language she can understand at whatever age she is.

I don't know. For every great conversation there are tons of blank stares, and a few awful moments. And she always wants more stuff and she always wants a ride...

Ah, parenting!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.