View Single Post
Old 07-07-2018, 12:09 AM   #56 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Woohoo, great!
It was sweet. Look at those NO numbers... an 80% reduction from 2016! To my knowledge no others who have posted about their experiences with this procedure have ever showed the benefit with an actual smog readout. This quite proves it can be done at home with crude tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8ksh4 View Post
... My truck is failing smog right now; High NO ppm was fixed by fixing my exhaust manifold and gaskets, but that brought the HC ppm up too high, so I'm hoping a tune-up will fix that. It's been too long since I did plugs, checked the wires, and cleaned the mass airflow sensor.
Definitely check plugs and wires. Test 'em precisely.

I think a reason my emissions numbers might not be even lower might be that I did not have enough flow of the solution through the substrate. The publication that I am imitating claims to have "optimized" the flow rate. My "optimization" was just lifting the cat out and dunking it back in six times each half hour. More flow might have done even better.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.