View Single Post
Old 07-24-2018, 06:28 AM   #73 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 39.99 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,517 Times in 1,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Removing that cross bar could cost you your life. I met this insight owner at a Del Taco when I used to work at the shop (cutting a long story short here) anyway, he ended up pulling out in front of a speeding motorcycle, and got T boned almost exactly where that bar is, just a hair more front. The bar prevented the vehicle from crumpling in at that spot, which definitely would have ended that man's life. I wish I still had the pictures, but it was a long time, and two phones ago.
I would appreciate those pictures, if you can find them. Just looking at the numbers - approximately 2.6 car accident deaths per 100,000 in my state (per year) - it's hard to get excited about in a very personal way. To me it sounds like I'm far more likely to die of breathing in exhaust from other vehicles on the road. We're talking thousandths of a percent here, and I'm a pretty defensive driver to begin with.

Going a little further, 72% of those 2.6 per 100,000 had alcohol in their blood, and I don't drink. Approximately half weren't wearing their seatbelt, which I always do. And, only maybe half of those were side impact. So in perhaps over-simplifying math, it works out to about 0.182 deaths / 100,000, or a 0.00018% chance of me being killed (statistically) from a side impact in a given year, assuming I'm about as careless as the average driver. Maybe I increase that by half or more by removing the bar, or maybe not.

For comparison, 1 in 3 people will be diagnosed with cancer in their lives. Heart disease kills 1 in 4 men, and killed both my father and grandfather in their 50's. Their diets were poor. I think if I were to focus my efforts somewhere, eating better than they did and making sure I put on my seatbelt every time I get in my car might be a better use of my time than worrying about that bar.

EDIT: I'm considering relocating the bar a little lower, rather than removing it.

Last edited by Ecky; 07-24-2018 at 07:09 AM..