View Single Post
Old 08-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #61 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
Very educational, thank you!

I'll have to keep an eye on that lithium replacement; are they still actively working on it?

So like coming down a steep hill, should I EOC and gain speed, or use regen braking to maintain same speed? And coming to a stop should I EOC as far away as possible, or wait, use a little more gas, and regen?
Yeah this project is actively in the works. It might be done in 6 months, or in 2 years, or maybe they'll never finish it. There are several very good minds working on it, and a lot of community enthusiasm, because bad batteries are primarily what are taking these cars off the road.

As for driving technique, I'd say what determined what I did was often how much energy I had in the battery. If I got it near full, I might do more EoC and let it get down to ~75%. If it got low (lots of stop and go, it's hard to regen much below 20mph in a manual) I'd regen a lot more. I'd usually regen down a hill where I'd otherwise gain speed, and EoC down those where I'd roughly maintain it.

I'm sure there are plenty of circumstances where, due to traffic, you can't really slow down significantly well in advance of a stop sign or traffic light. In those cases the regenerative braking makes stopping later a lot more forgiving and less of an economy loss.