View Single Post
Old 10-09-2018, 02:11 AM   #3171 (permalink)
niky
Master EcoModder

NIPCC? The Heartland Institute hacks have created their OWN international organization?

WAHAHAHAHA!!!

-

I needed a good laugh today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I don't know where but I can confirm the story, I read it too.

So you're saying Douglas Adams ripped off Al Capp's Schmoon?
It's possible Adams knew about them, but the cow is more likely a dig at vegans.

-

Uncomfortably, I call my firstborn Shmoo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I remember an old sci fi story where there was a giant blob of meat that could be sliced off as necessary. The caretaker called it Chicken Little or something and showed the main character that it could do a trick. He blew a whistle, Chicken Little raised up, revealing a hole in the floor, and the other man led the protagonist into a secret room where they planned and plotted a rebellion.

As I recall, the man had given out pamphlets to a select few saying "A man's life is in your hands!" and the second guy, who was in advertising, decided to promote the power and prestige you could obtain in their secret group.

I also remember a story where people rented stairs in staircases and slept on them at night. An entire extended family slept in a tiny apartment. The baby's crib was over the sink. They only flushed once a day. The part that I want to share is they had two pipes running into the house, saltwater and fresh. They used the saltwater as much as possible and then rinsed with fresh.

How much can be done with saltwater?
That's exactly it! And with that: Google turns up "Chicken Little", by Frederick Pohl.

Durh... I actually have a bunch of Pohl books in my library, but none feature that specific story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Barbarella is interesting to compare with Valerian or John Carter of Mars, all based on comics that have been ripped off so much they now seem derivative.
I nearly choked when I first read complaints that John Carter of Mars was a ripoff of Planet Hulk.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

In line with vat-grown meat, I was wondering about genetically engineering micro-organisms to sequester carbon.

Then it hit me... they already do that. Duh am I slow today.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0117102154.htm

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index...gro-ecosystems

Turns out the soil holds more carbon than the atmosphere and biosphere combined.

Which makes the loss of topsoil and arable land even more worrying, as it's a potent carbon sink.

Focusing research on this kills quite a few birds with one stone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to niky For This Useful Post:
aerohead (10-10-2018), freebeard (10-09-2018), NeilBlanchard (10-09-2018), RedDevil (10-09-2018), Xist (10-09-2018)