View Single Post
Old 11-13-2018, 11:22 AM   #161 (permalink)
COcyclist
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
A couple weeks back I made my own rear anti-sway bar for the Mirage. So far it is working amazingly well. It completely transforms how the car handles. Previously, there was tons of body roll in corners, and taking them fast did not inspire confidence. This is a big complaint with the car by reviewers and owners alike. With the bar installed, it reduces body roll massively. It feels well planted in the corners. No handling machine / Miata mind you, but a huge difference from stock.
Great job on the sway bar. I have been using them on the rear of my front wheel drive cars for decades. I have some suggestions for readers considering doing this mod. First would be to read the article by our friend Julian Edgar on this AutoSpeed - Anti-Roll Bars and Torsion Beam Rear Suspensions, Part 1. Second, be aware that this mod will tend to make our cas more tail happy, especially on snow covered roads. As we are headed into winter driving season one could consider removing it for the winter months. At the very least make sure to have good snow tires on front and rear. Never, ever front snow tires only coupled with a rear sway bar unless you particularly enjoy unintended spins on ice.

P.S. Perhaps if you take it off you could trim those unneeded lower corners. It is hurting your unsprung weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 11-16-2018 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect doesn’t know how to spell.