View Single Post
Old 01-01-2019, 02:36 PM   #127 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy View Post
I sometimes can start from a dead stop in 2nd; is this okay or bad for the transmission?
The transmission, no, but it's going to put more wear on your clutch. I typically don't stress clutch longevity to new manual drivers, but closer gear spacing and a very short first gear will contribute to long clutch life. It's basically a set of brake pads between engine and transmission, and (oversimplified) the greater the difference in speed between the two when you let the clutch out, the more material you're going to take off the clutch.

Mine is still original at ~245k and seems fine. I know some vehicles need a clutch before 100k. It won't last forever even if you baby it, but just something to keep in mind.

Quote:
VTEC kicks in at 2800, right? I could try shifting at 2600-2700 RPMs and see how that does.
I understand it's somewhat load dependent but yes, ballpark 2800rpm. I'd give that a shot.

Quote:
A little better acceleration, but how much of a FE hit? I rarely get any forced regen while driving with longer stops or on the highway, but pizza delivery is pretty much 70% stop-n-go, and the car spends about 20%-30% of it's time in forced regen plus me being extra conscientious about regenning. I know it's not a new battery by any means, but it seems to work well and there aren't any battery codes, pending or not.
FE hit, probably more than zero. How much I can't say, but I find shifting sooner helps FE.

Honestly I found that to be the biggest learning curve with the car. It's very possible to finely control battery usage with just the gas pedal but you can probably expect to still be learning that months or years down the line. Even with a fully functional IMA, you can drive in stop and go traffic and never get a bar of assist or regen (or more of one and less of the other) if you're really precise with the gas pedal.