View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #19 (permalink)
wagonman76
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckncycle View Post
Americans seem to have a "Not in my backyard" mentality.
Thats what they call it here every time something good gets shot down. Nothing ever gets done because a single person or small group of people fights against something that is for the common good of everyone. We have so much friggin wind here off the lake, more wind turbines would be a great idea. But a handful of people (most only live here 3 months out of the year) fight tooth and nail to try to keep Northern Michigan like it was in the days of yore. However I dont hear them whining about cell phone towers everywhere.

Maybe people dont mind oil because they never really see it. They figure terrorism will never happen here, though we did have a Mackinac bridge scare awhile back. I cringe at how people dont seem to care that we are funding the terrorists that are trying to kill us and our economy. Of course smoking kills tons more people here than violence, but since it appears to not do anything to anyone, they recently fought tooth and nail to overturn the law that would have created smoke-free workplaces. Ive never smoked a cigarette in my life, but 3 doctors have told me my lungs look like those of a smoker, likely because most of the people here smoke.

Back on topic, I dont like to hear when they say "we can't drill our way out of this problem". Like another poster, I would rather have our oil stay in America. We do need oil for the time being, until the minorities in America are no longer allowed to make the decisions that govern everyone, and energy alternatives will be widespread.

I try to save whenever I can. I heat my house strictly with wood, 5 people in a 1050 sq foot house. Dont use AC. Turn things off when not using them, including most "dummy loads" by use of a power strip. I use nearly all hand tools and dont have a big screen TV or any of the other things to keep up with the joneses. Sad to say I drive one of the more efficient cars here. Nearly every other guy here still drives a full size pickup truck as a daily commuter. Others havent a clue and think 20 mpg highway in the summer is good for a stickshift Geo Tracker.

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver