View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 05:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
Ecky
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 40.51 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,515 Times in 1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes View Post
I wouldn't want to rely on the battery sticks for cranking an engine, even if they could do it. I also do a lot of EOC at night, which is hard on batteries. I have two massive deep-cycle batteries in my Civic, which give me over 100 miles of driving with the alternator off. I really want to come up with a lighter battery setup for the Insight, but I don't think the NiMH sticks will be enough. I could try using more sticks, but I don't know how many (if any) good sticks I have.
I have a 20Ah LiFePO4 battery in mine along with supercaps. I've (accidentally) driven to work without turning on my DC-DC converter a few times. It's only about 10 miles / 20 minutes but I was very easily able to make the drive with the stereo + sub blasting, rear defroster, headlights, and climate control running, and only use ~20% of the capacity available. The batteries are much safer than LIon and weigh ~6.6lbs.

https://www.batteryspace.com/lifepo4...assed-dgr.aspx

I'd advise pairing them with capacitors on days below freezing, but YMMV. As long as you're gentle on them they may be ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ecky For This Useful Post:
Gasoline Fumes (02-21-2019)