View Single Post
Old 09-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
RH77
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'd drive this thing if it was legal
At this point, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I know I'm not changing opinions here. The cars that would be imported are safe enough, but the argument has gone beyond that:

It has come down to a debate between safety and efficiency. This is an efficiency forum, so guess which wins?

I'm defending the populace. Car companies CAN produce the product, and make it safe and efficient, but instead, choose to shed a tear in their beer that they didn't adapt soon enough. Boo-hoo.

Profits, people! That's why we don't have small cars from GM. The Cobalt is a cheap facsimile, IMO. It makes them very little money per unit too, so don't expect tons to be cranked out of Lordstown, Ohio. In fact, they're shifting the bulk of production to exported vehicles like the Chevy Cruze.

Franklin, I'd drive that contraption too, but on a 6-lane Interstate (which is my typical commute), but I'd get sucked under a Wal-Mart semi-trailer sooner than you can say "cheap Chinese import".

If I wanted to spend $14,000 on a vehicle, I would instead modify an existing vehicle to attain the mileage that so-called "new-cars" would get. It would have airbags, ABS and ESC too.

So, in conclusion, we could have these cars, but the laws don't allow it (and won't likely change). Thanks for playing!

RH77

_
_