Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #21 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
I'd drive this thing if it was legal
At this point, we're going to have to agree to disagree. I know I'm not changing opinions here. The cars that would be imported are safe enough, but the argument has gone beyond that:

It has come down to a debate between safety and efficiency. This is an efficiency forum, so guess which wins?

I'm defending the populace. Car companies CAN produce the product, and make it safe and efficient, but instead, choose to shed a tear in their beer that they didn't adapt soon enough. Boo-hoo.

Profits, people! That's why we don't have small cars from GM. The Cobalt is a cheap facsimile, IMO. It makes them very little money per unit too, so don't expect tons to be cranked out of Lordstown, Ohio. In fact, they're shifting the bulk of production to exported vehicles like the Chevy Cruze.

Franklin, I'd drive that contraption too, but on a 6-lane Interstate (which is my typical commute), but I'd get sucked under a Wal-Mart semi-trailer sooner than you can say "cheap Chinese import".

If I wanted to spend $14,000 on a vehicle, I would instead modify an existing vehicle to attain the mileage that so-called "new-cars" would get. It would have airbags, ABS and ESC too.

So, in conclusion, we could have these cars, but the laws don't allow it (and won't likely change). Thanks for playing!

RH77

_
_
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-07-2008, 12:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Whether the Euro-cars are more or less safe than US cars is completely beside the point. The lightweight Euro-cars simply will not pass the safety tests demanded by US regulatory agencies. Whether those tests have anything to do with real safty can be intensely debated.
It's not beside the point: it is the WHOLE point. US regulations are preventing the import of cars that are more fuel efficient and no less safe in real world experience, therefore the @#$! US regulations should be changed. Simple: even the US Congress and the moron-in-chief ought to be able to do it in a week at the outside. And if it means firing a bunch of obstructionist bureaucrats, or even abolishing their agencies, then that's an unintended fringe benefit.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #23 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
It's not beside the point: it is the WHOLE point. US regulations are preventing the import of cars that are more fuel efficient and no less safe in real world experience, therefore the @#$! US regulations should be changed. Simple: even the US Congress and the moron-in-chief ought to be able to do it in a week at the outside. And if it means firing a bunch of obstructionist bureaucrats, or even abolishing their agencies, then that's an unintended fringe benefit.
Dare I say to vote your beliefs in November...

RH77

_
_
Old 09-07-2008, 09:47 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
US safety regs are not necessarily consistent with safety.

US environmental regs are not necessarily consistent with public health.

I am in complete agreement that both sets of regs need a drastic overhaul.

Profits are important. If GM sells enough cars at a loss they go the way of Packard, Studebaker, American Motors and Enron.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 09-07-2008, 03:42 PM   #25 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
Big Dave -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
US safety regs are not necessarily consistent with safety.

US environmental regs are not necessarily consistent with public health.

I am in complete agreement that both sets of regs need a drastic overhaul.

Profits are important. If GM sells enough cars at a loss they go the way of Packard, Studebaker, American Motors and Enron.
I wouldn't put Enron in your list. They got what they wanted, deregulated energy markets, and used that to cook the books. They are the posterchild for stronger regulatory agencies, not the weaker ones that you want.

That is one reason why I am in conflict with your POV. I can understand a nuanced argument that says let's do more testing and try to come up with a compromise. But I keep getting the impression that the gist of your argument is the regulatory agencies are evil and need to be stopped.

Regardless of the safety standards, the (not so) big three had plenty of examples of high MPG cars from Japan (for 30+ years!!!!) that they could have been reverse-engineering all this time, but they mostly ignored them and paid the price. Imagine the difference today if GM had spent 10 years creating "eco-package" options like the Cobalt XFE.

It could be argued that if GM was thinking beyond the quarterly profits statement, they would have designed *all* their car lines across the world to match the country with the most stringent safety standards (maybe the SUV profits would have been a good thing to roll into this R&D). As markets expanded and contracted, Lutz could maneuver his cars across borders like chess pieces (Example: the new Saturn/Opel Astra was designed for EU/USA markets). More Volvo than Volvo could have been a GM motto, which would have appealed to families that want the safest car then can get.

Question: If Lutz got what he wanted, couldn't Toyota and Honda do the same and maybe even import Kei-cars? Whatever Lutz got, his competition could *still* outclass GM products in the fuel efficiency class.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-07-2008, 05:11 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
Question: If Lutz got what he wanted, couldn't Toyota and Honda do the same and maybe even import Kei-cars? Whatever Lutz got, his competition could *still* outclass GM products in the fuel efficiency class.
We'd all have more fuel-efficient choices, and wouldn't we all be better off for it? I'd love to be able to buy one of the Kei-class sports cars, or even a Smart Roadster.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:36 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Wicked Wanda - '99 VW Beetle GLS
90 day: 29.59 mpg (US)

Green Monster - '99 Ford Explorer Sport
90 day: 16.73 mpg (US)

Dad's Taxi - '99 Honda Odyssey EX
90 day: 24.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post

CarloSW2
If you look at GM products like the Opels and Vauxhalls you'd be surprized at what GM is capable of.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Red Baron - '00 Ford F-350 XLT
90 day: 27.99 mpg (US)

Impala Phase Zero - '96 Chevrolet Impala SS
90 day: 21.03 mpg (US)
Enron was totally legal until they became unprofitable.
Rubber Conveyor Belt Air Dam
Old 09-07-2008, 10:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts

Old 09-09-2008, 01:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Lutz says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
There are few gems of info and even a good point or two amongst his usually whining.

GM’s Lutz Calls for Break on Crash-Testing in U.S.
Interesting! Herr Lutz is quoted as saying "We are victims of the Federal Government." ...hmmm.... This is beginning to sound like "We have met the enemy...".

Reply  Post New Thread