View Single Post
Old 04-03-2019, 08:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The 6 chargers have been in the town of 900 since 2013. Back then I just chuckled wondering what Tesla was thinking. The Model S had been out for just a year. I'm sure they are getting more use now.
You sure about that? Those friends I mentioned didn't know they existed and they own Teslas. We've talked about going to Bend but they said they would have to drive down to Eugene and over or over to the Dalles and down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Agreed about outdoors being crowded in the Portland area, though there's still some less traveled stuff... I grew up in Salem, so most of my outdoor areas are infrequently visited. Dozens of logging roads up highway 22. I had never paid to camp until a few years ago when I visited Yellowstone. I didn't even realize that was much of a thing and was pretty upset to pay $20 for a concrete pad in a crowded desert campsite. The camp administrator yelled at me for grabbing a broken twig that was hanging by a thread from a tree to use as a roasting stick. He threatened to send me to federal prison. Good thing he didn't see the dead tree I pushed over and hacked into firewood.
Detroit is 3-4 hours on a Friday afternoon. It is at least an extra hour to get across Portland.

I'm talking about dispersed camping. Head towards the ocean on a Friday and you will find every little clearing off a forest road taken for miles away from 26, 6, or 53. I've only been here 4 years but the couple we camp with has been here for decades and he knows every little place to fish in NW Oregon / SW Washington.