Thread: Tesla Model Y
View Single Post
Old 04-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #116 (permalink)
roflwaffle
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I think the point is made though that EVs are more expensive than their ICE counterparts, even if there is no exact counterpart. $40k buys a heck of a lot of car in the ICE world with no drawbacks should someone want to travel beyond the single "tank" range. They are also extremely reliable these days too. I've had nothing of note to mention maintenance wise from any of my ICE vehicles with exception of the truck and the Jeep I briefly owned (avoid Chrysler brands and you'll be fine).

...and I'll mention Tesla has no intention of selling $40k Model Y's, just as they have fought as hard as possible to not sell $35k Model 3s. Those that purchased 4 weeks ago with a 2-4 week delivery estimate are being told to expect another 4-6 weeks for for delivery. They are also getting called and asked if they want to spend another $2,500 for the + version. Clearly $40k is to get your attention, and not a realistic expectation of what will be available. I have no problem waiting long periods of time for something, but if Tesla called me and asked if I wanted a car sooner for $2,500 more, I'd tell them they have 1 week to deliver the car I have a placed a $2,500 earnest payment for, or they can keep their car and send me the $2,500 back. Slimy as hell.

For the public to widely adopt EVs, they have to either be way, way better in many regards than an ICE to make up for the extra cost and charging hassle, or the cost needs to come way down. Simply going faster isn't enough of a pull for the majority of people. Doesn't matter if it goes 0-60 in 2 seconds if the infrastructure to get you from point A to point B and C aren't there, or it's there, but you'll have to stop for an hour several times along the way.

We're getting a lot closer, and the uptick in EV sales is evidence of this, but we're not there yet.
I wouldn't say Tesla has no intention of selling a $35k at this point. Considering how different the interior is, my guess is they need more time to line everything up on their end and on their supplier end.

In addition, if Tesla can't deliver a $35k 3 someone orders, they can ask for and get their $2,500 back. The order payment only becomes non-refundable when the build process starts, and even in that situation I've read about people getting their money back when Tesla sells their car to someone else.
The Following User Says Thank You to roflwaffle For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-10-2019)