View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 12:28 AM   #54 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
...I had tried to follow Old School Funk's method for avoiding adjusting the timing belt, but I just do not understand how to make it work.
I used his method too. The wire was more than vigorous enough. I used to longest curtain rod and lashed it down so it wouldn't move. I found that the belt in the sprocket were not as susceptible to getting misaligned as I expected they would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
...You need to have the head machined and they need to move it from top dead center. How do you move it back without the camshaft sprocket, which is secured to the timing belt and a broom?
This was tricky for me. I spent a lot of time turning the cam and watching the lifters and figuring out where the correct start position was. Obviously it's really important that the crank pulley not get turned and that the Pistons are on the exact position they were in when you pulled the head off. You'll get it if you're patient careful.

What do you mean adjusting the top and bottom separately? I don't understand. And I don't recognize that tool, which isn't surprising cuz I'm not extremely experienced.

Hang in there!

I kept trying to work on my Civic, but I was useless.[/QUOTE]
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.