View Single Post
Old 08-27-2019, 03:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Do you have a specific issue with the site?
My specific issue is that they are an echochamber of absurdity with an occasional few sentences making rational/factual sense. That in itself isn't the problem though. The problem is the site owners delete any comments that even remotely question the veracity or reasonableness of their absurd and factually false articles.

A comment like "death to the Koch bros" would be encouraged, but a comment like "maybe consumer choice has something to do with the popularity of fossil fuel consumption, and it isn't entirely a Big Oil conspiracy" will be removed.

Being wrong is inevitable and acceptable. Being willfully wrong and deceptive is inexcusable.

Besides all that, they don't do their own news research, they put their editorial commentary on news they collect from other sources. Why not just link to those other sources instead of have it filtered through religious zealots?

Quote:
1. They have advertised 1 - 3 million EV sales in 2025 across 30 - 70 models, but since when do manufacturers meet expectations.

As I said, I'll believe it when I see it. VW sells 11 million vehicles a year, so the claim is 10-30% of sales. The other question is what do they consider to be "electric"? Do hybrids count in their figures?

6. "Volkswagen Group has been leading the rollout of fast charging and superfast charging stations in Europe and the US."

...as agreed to as part of their Dieselgate settlement. Nothing like negotiating ownership in a Oligopolistic business as punishment for wrongdoing, even if it is unprofitable at the moment.

7. "VW’s first fully electric models built electric from the ground up target high-volume vehicle classes

The Golf EV is a very good car, so they are capable of making such a product.
Quote:
The article also points out that Toyota has done very little about making a fully-electric car, just the hydrogen nonsense.
In my view, a very smart move as the moment to profit from EVs has not yet arrived.

Quote:
Well, they are doing something. Their Clarity is available in limited quantities, but only has an 89-mile range. They have a hydrogen-powered one that goes four times as far without...energy source replacement? (it is also only available on lease)

Did Toyota ever start selling hydrogen cars in the U.S.? Well, Wikipedia says they sold 2,900, but that may be out-of-date:
https://www.insideevs.com/news/34237...-2300-in-2018/

So, Toyota sold 3,538 in two years and Honda sold 1,075 in the same time frame.

How much energy does it cost to produce one kilogram of hydrogen, the equivalent of a gallon of gasoline. I know that the cheapest method involves natural gas, but what about electrolysis?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_economy

Yeah. Okay. I do not know how much it costs, but we cannot afford not to?
Hydrogen cars are a joke, as evidenced by the (nearly non-existent) numbers sold, by the (non)availability of refueling, and the fact that they run on what is essentially natural gas. While labs might be able to obtain 80% efficiencies for electrolysis of water, typical is something like 35%.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!