View Single Post
Old 09-18-2019, 01:49 PM   #6902 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
A neighbor,our current president where I live recently retired as a Ph.D.in Environmental Science at the University of North Texas.He's told me about colleagues whom possess zero people skills,and basically hide in their offices when not teaching class.
At Texas Tech, I has a few professors I considered unfit for a classroom environment.
Not an easy situation.
I'm most comfortable with the actual,peer-reviewed research papers.They're completely unfiltered,and with all the human foibles.
I learn best from text too, because it's learn at your own pace, and has been edited many times, unlike verbal communication. That said, most people prefer lecture or sound bites, perhaps because their reading comprehension skills aren't on par with their verbal comprehension skills.

The smartest people aren't necessarily the best teachers. In my view, the professors that aren't good at teaching should just focus on their research. There's a reason why people like Bill Nye (not a scientist) and Neil Tyson are popular with the public, and that's because they make the subject interesting and accessible to the layperson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Why would anyone presume that a software predator would have the critical thinking skills to navigate climate change issues of a market economy.And his mentor.If Gates can talk Warren Buffet into selling off his BNSF coal trains,then he'll have my attention.What a zero!
What would it take to satisfy your criteria of profiting from something but at the same time not be a "predator"?

In my view, this is an example of why the left is in disarray. If the standard of minimum acceptable behavior requires dying in the street starving, having given everything one has for the environment and social justice, it's a self-defeating position.

Why is Gates responsible for Buffet's actions? How is Gates' philanthropic endeavors and his contribution to software development counted as zero? I can assure you, Gates has counted for more than all of us combined with respect to shaping the world.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 09-18-2019 at 01:59 PM..

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (09-18-2019)