View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 12:02 PM   #56 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,066 Times in 1,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Well the Cummins didn't get an egr until around 2006 and if they didnt go 400,000 miles the owners would think they got a lemon as over a million miles on the block, bearings, heads, rings, valves, was the norm not the exception.
The engine may go 1 million miles in your VW but the rest of the car will bankrupt you long before then. My old Jetta started falling about about 200K miles. The new ones don't appear to be much better. 3 people at my wife's work bought dieselgate Jettas after we got ours and all of them have had problems. Ours got a new sunroof seal under warranty this past summer. Took the dealer 3 days to fix it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I only have 120 miles on my car. Last night we went on a bit longer drive with some highway and low and behold when I shut it off the fans continued to run and you could smell it so I just interrupted my first regen. Now I have nothing but to and from work scheduled which is only 10 mins and the car barely reaches normal operating temps. So I have to take a trip just to hopefully get a regen? It would have been no problem last night to let it run and finish it's regen had I known it was happening. Good news is it was getting 30 mpg at 70 mph and more like 40 mpg at 55 mph.

I also dont know what DSG stands for. I assume you are just talking automatic transmission which I have but was told it is not a DSG. It's a Aisin 8 speed auto.
No, you don't have to take a highway drive to regen unless you get the DPF (diesel particulate filter) warning light. Just drive it and relax, the car will do what it needs to do.

Just a warning, lots of short trips where the car barely warms up will shorten the life of your DPF. Idling is even worse and was most of the problem when DPFs first were introduced into the heavy duty market.

DSG stands for Direct Shift Gearbox, and is VW's name for their automated manual transmission. It is the "automatic" used in VW 2.0L TDIs. It is also the transmission you see in all the before / after dieselgate articles because they make up more than 90% of sales. When we bought our TDI last year I looked for a manual but couldn't find one within a reasonable driving distance. The dealer we purchase from had 1 manual out of 65 TDI Sportwagens.

Last edited by JSH; 10-06-2019 at 12:09 PM..