View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 01:14 PM   #85 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
It is funny how life changes. Now that I can afford the cars I wanted in High School I don’t want them anymore.

I guess I’ve always been a bit of an old soul. When I bought my first BMW touring bike the salesman wouldn’t sell it to me. He likely thought I was just a young kid wasting his time. (I was 25 when the average BMW rider was about 55)
I feel similarly. I thought I'd buy a Subaru WRX the moment I could afford one, then after taking one for a test drive decided not to.

Back when I was 24, I could have bought most any Lexus on the lot with cash because I had been living in my car for a couple years, banking 95% of my take-home. I went to look at cars with my girlfriend, and the salesman wouldn't even open the doors for me to sit in them. That's fine, I never intended to purchase a new vehicle, but at least I had given him the opportunity to sell me on the idea, and he passed.

I suppose I want a Model 3, but not bad enough to drop $40k on it. If I'm spending that kind of cash, it had better be a hatchback (or liftback, or station wagon, or whatever you call not a trunk). Don't want the roof glass either. Putting that kind of weight up high is the opposite of good design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
I have also always owned a minivan, we bought our first one in 1990 a used 1988 Caravan. I actually then loaned it to my hippie dad who also immediately went out and bought one too to replace his 1970 Tradsman 100 and he owned one from then on up to his death last year. I can't ever see not owning a minivan.
My list of contenders back when I bought the Acura TSX (2010) were:

Corolla
Delorean
Lotus Elise
Chevy Metro
Lexus IS250 (unimpressed with the auto after test drive)
Subaru Outback (poor handling and fuel economy vs Legacy)

I've never been opposed to minivans as I've had great experiences in them. I drove a full sized Dodge Ram van in high school and it was awesome, especially with $0.99 petrol. The comfort and utility and technology that goes into them are superb. I would be very happy to drive a Pacifica plug-in.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!