View Single Post
Old 03-18-2020, 12:08 PM   #142 (permalink)
redpoint5
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I do not know how much long-term Mom has. She is in her seventies, has multiple health problems, and has done especially poorly lately.

Recently you wrote:

I am positive that wasn't the first time that you mentioned that and I doubt it will be the last.

You want me to abandon my mother in failing health and brother with autism while you give people who play video games thirty hours a week free rent even though you believe that living in your car is character-building?
You share a lot of personal stuff as if you're soliciting advice, and me being a guy, can't listen to problems without trying to develop solutions. I often miss ques to instead provide only feedback that affirms...

As my disclaimer said, I'm speaking out of ignorance and it's possible your trajectory is already fairly optimized. If I'm critical, it's only cause I care.

My outlook on life is different than most others, so I don't expect people to find what I consider to be acceptable (living in my car for example), to be acceptable for themselves.

That said, I do sorta refuse to look at debt through the eyes of others and insist on my own perspective. I know if I owed someone and had hit financial hardship, I'd be driving Uber or finding other ways to bring some money in. I'd repay what I can rather than nothing. Certainly I'd cancel my Xbox Live subscription and stop eating takeout (things I never/rarely indulge in anyhow). Failing all that, and having an abundance of time on my hands, I'd pull weeds or do something else to add value to the place I'm living.

As I write this, perhaps the way to mitigate moral hazard is to offer free rent, but under the condition that I get some help with yardwork and staining the deck.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-18-2020 at 12:19 PM..