Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2020, 11:52 PM   #131 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Problem with real estate centric jobs is it's boom and bust industry. Right now it's booming and might be about to drive off a cliff.
Programmers or any tech job get hired and laid off a lot.

Looks like jobs that scare the hell out of people have good pay and good job security. Jobs that involve fire, electricity, hights, small spaces, rats, a job that involves killing stuff, anything that involves sewage, highly phyical, a job that isn't compatible with "working from home" anything that might be found in a David chronenberg movie, you get the idea.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 03-18-2020 at 12:24 AM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (03-18-2020), redpoint5 (03-18-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-17-2020, 11:56 PM   #132 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,802 Times in 939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I won't do you homework for you, but one Eastern city is passing/has passed legislation that prevents the sale of firearms and ammunition, not that they would do it, it's just in case things fall apart.
Yeah, that was the city where I reside, and the initial reporting surrounding this was grossly exaggerated. The City Council passed an emergency declaration enumerating emergency powers and conferring them on the mayor temporarily. Some of these, like the ability to ban liquor sales, she already held as liquor commissioner. Others, such as the power to control shutoff of utilities, are ceded to the mayor to prevent utility companies from shutting off people's water and gas during a financial crisis when their customers can't pay bills.

The problem here is, the resolution was initially reported on not by our local news station but Decatur's, which ran a headline that made it sound like gun and liquor sales were immediately prohibited. Then Breitbart, which must constantly search the internet for any news articles containing the words "gun" and "ban", picked that up the next morning and it spiraled from there.

We're all fine here; you can still buy guns and ammo. Restaurants and bars have been closed for two weeks statewide, but that wasn't our mayor's decision.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-18-2020), Xist (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 12:34 AM   #133 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Things I'm not running out and buying at all in 2020:
Toilet paper, bottled water, hand sanitizer, bleach, gloves, "masks", guns, ammo.
Although I did buy a 9mm silencer last week which is technically considered a "firearm", because I got a good deal but it probably won't be in my possession until early 2021.

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 12:39 AM   #134 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
Why are we still discussing why I did not watch that video?

I already explained it twice.
I think you're the only one who hasn't moved on, but the rest of the post shows you are trying.
Quote:
When we establish the wrong way to do something, logically we can decide the correct way.
Fallacy of the False Dilemma. aka more than one way to skin a [metaphorical] cat.
Quote:
Each of these Kevin videos have been about how to get through the coronavirus outbreak.
These are questions you would be asking yourself anyway, pandemic or no. Getting through this involves a crash course in virology, and the self-discipline to adopt new habits.

And.... I guess navigating a restructuring of some sort. We've done it before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everyt..._Know_Is_Wrong

Quote:
Side 1 (20:45)
Cox starts the record with a tinny-sounding recording of Richard Strauss' Also Sprach Zarathustra. After a brief introduction plugging his records, he gives a reverberating montage of his latest revelations, such as "Dogs flew spaceships", "Men and women are the same sex", and "Your brain is not the boss"; concluding with "Everything you know is wrong!"
I'm running low on toilet paper, only 9 month to a year's worth left. Then it's wash with a latex glove, wash glove, remove glove.

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 03:36 AM   #135 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
I was going to comment on Xists long post, but freebeard mostly covered it. I'm digging the new signature BTW. I believe in the melting pot, not in multiculturalism as such.

Regarding real estate agents; it's a dying industry and the writing is on the wall. I don't need someone to tell me this is the bathroom, and over there is the kitchen. The moment I learned about RedFin, I realized that was the way of the future. It's insane that 6% of the most valuable thing someone owns gets forfeited to 3rd parties just because people can't figure out how to more effectively advertise their property. I'd be more concerned about my future as a real estate agent than my future as a long haul truck driver.

I dunno what all the other careers have to do with Xist's specific skill set. At any rate, my ignorant opinion is that he would do best to hyper focus on his own success at the near term neglect of his family, with the future ability to create stability for all. Perhaps a best compromise has already been struck on the current trajectory.

I've finally been impacted by the virus. Received a text that most of my tenants are furloughed and will likely have financial hardship. I'll probably give free rent for at least a month, but there is moral hazard to consider.

A couple years of working a $17/hr job I had amassed enough of a rainy day fund to go a couple years without pay. It astonishes me that people don't have 1 month of savings in the bank, especially when I observe that they spend at least 30 hrs per week playing video games.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 03-18-2020 at 11:33 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 04:17 AM   #136 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I worked on that post for hours. When I wrote that line, I had just read RedPoint complaining about me prioritizing being on-time for work over sharing a video that I felt looked relevant, but I spent hours researching, and submitted everything when I felt that I was finished.

There was a second confirmed case in my county, but it took me four articles to read that he was from the general Kayenta area, over 200 miles away, and they do have not identified any connection between the two patients, except that both traveled recently.

I seriously hope that neither of them had contact with anyone having contact with my client.

"Officials also say they are deploying a mobile incident command post to the region affected." https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/2-...-navajo-nation

We have over fifty rolls of toilet paper and I bought a 55-gallon drum that I started filling with water. You aren't supposed to use a garden hose, so we filled a couple of gallon pitchers from the sink about a dozen times, I dumped them into the drum, which is labeled "Food-grade," and we hardly got anywhere.

I will see if Ace or Cal-Ranch has a hose like this because Home Depot, Lowe's, and Walmart don't. I also should have looked up how to fill it before I started because the page that told me to use that type of a hose also said to put some water and a couple ounces of bleach in it, tighten the lid, roll it around for a while, empty it somewhere that can get bleached, rinse thoroughly, and then fill. https://www.amazon.com/Apex-NeverKin...0007UQ2MS?th=1

I guess that I need to dump out most of the water and start over, but once I have the right hose, the rest is easy.

The Basha's half an hour away is having Seniors Only from 0630 to 0730 every Wednesday. You need to prove your age and can bring a caregiver, but they cannot purchase anything for themselves.

Would I drive her and wait in the car with my brother?

Mom just wants a sack of potatoes, but our refrigerator is getting bare, and she usually goes grocery shopping on Fridays, although she told me that I need to do the shopping for the foreseeable future.

I keep thinking that if I start showing flu-like symptoms I will check into a hotel for two weeks with enough food and clothing to last the duration and hope that Mom can sterilize everything. I hate to leave her alone with my brother, but I hate to get her sick even more.

What if my brother gets sick [first]?

That is much more complicated and I hate to think about 336 hours in a hotel room with my brother. There very well might be dozens of tantrums, but hopefully the hotel is not too busy.

What would the hotel staff do? "Hello 911, someone in room 213 keeps screaming and I suspect they have coronavirus!"

By the way, my sister sent me a bunch of bizarre stuff for my birthday, and her feelings are hurt because I did not thank her for the stuff that I did not want. I specifically asked for a Spongebob piņata without butt streamers and she specifically got me one with butt streamers. I explained that they are designed to not be fun (dangerous) and she made up some weird explanation that completely contradicts the item description.

That is for my niece and nephews, who I cannot see indefinitely.

I am not decorating the house.

I am also not abandoning Mom. I am positive that I told you guys that I needed to take her to the emergency room two months ago and the doctor said that had she come in a couple of hours later she could have died.

I do not know how much time I have with her, but I lost Dad, I am going to do what I can to help her stay alive.

I do not care much about money, but it does make life easier.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:39 AM   #137 (permalink)
Not Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
[M]y ignorant opinion is that [Xist] would do best to hyper focus on his own success at the near term neglect of his family
I do not know how much long-term Mom has. She is in her seventies, has multiple health problems, and has done especially poorly lately.

Quote:
I'll probably give free rent for at least a month
Recently you wrote:
Quote:
Then I got a full time job at $17/hr and lived in my car for 2 years.
I am positive that wasn't the first time that you mentioned that and I doubt it will be the last.

You want me to abandon my mother in failing health and brother with autism while you give people who play video games thirty hours a week free rent even though you believe that living in your car is character-building?

Old 03-18-2020, 07:44 AM   #138 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Although I did buy a 9mm silencer last week...
If I chose a 9 for its effects downrange, I'd try to keep it quiet too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
roosterk0031 (03-18-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 09:54 AM   #139 (permalink)
Not Doug

Did you also buy a loudener?

Still no potatoes, but I got bananas. I didn't want them until I saw them!

We were starting to get low on food, so I tried to do grocery shopping, buy half of the shelves are empty.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:30 AM   #140 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
I forgot to panic shop.

I came down with a sniffle, and now I have to self isolate. But my pantry isn't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Closed Thread  Post New Thread