View Single Post
Old 04-22-2020, 10:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
If you want a rule of thumb, better in fact not to go for complete covers. Saying otherwise simply goes against the evidence. And that does in fact seem to me to be a myth busted.
Sure, we could go with a rule of thumb like that. But "the evidence" is considerably more nuanced than you are allowing for some reason. In this article, the conclusion was not presented as universal for all vehicles. The authors knew their findings were dependent a little on the vehicle. Their study tried to account for how ventillation drag and air flow drag interacted. All vehicles are different in that respect and use different methods to ventillate the wheel wells. Results will vary and we're not in a good position, with street cars and street testing conditions, to know precisely what works best. So, you go with a reasonable rule of thumb. A solid pan is still a good intervention. Personally, I have been thinking of ventilating my design in a way similar to this study, but I have too many unfinished projects!

EDIT: however, the study we're discussing suggests that all designs (except thick radius) perform more poorly than smooth covers. A rule of thumb for the thick radius seems supported, but that is not quite what COCyclist made. A rule of thumb for anything other than smooth covers or thick radius would not find support in this study, it seems to me.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 04-22-2020 at 10:28 PM..