View Single Post
Old 06-24-2020, 06:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If we had critical thinking, it would cover everything they seem to be concerned with.
As to 'politics', I was just commenting on a historical fact, written about by critical thinkers like Carl Sagan and Michael Shermer, germane to the discussion.
Certainly germane. Tell me more. I just don't wanna debate political figures or politics or petitions for federal action. I meant no offense. This is about the ideas these self-described "critical engineers" raise as the the ethical and power relationships between people and technology. I placed it in this subforum hoping we could discuss core EM interests in light of the manifesto. For example, the way cars are increasingly treated like smart phones, and we hackers not permitted access to the ECU or software as in the 1990s and early 00s. Or how fuel economy is marketted as a product of a gasoline or gas additive purchase when a host of simple--free--hypermiling techniques are far better. I think that manifesto is very EM relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The hair you appear to be splitting is exceedingly fine. Thinking critically about this theory...

Rather than best practices then, it's a lever to dismantle the status quo.
"dismantle the status quo" is your characterization. It is not what they wrote. They wrote about exposing the influence of engineering. I think they mean software especially, it seems.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 06-24-2020 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: open bracket missing on quote