View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #20 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Yeah, but freebeard, though flying cars are cool, maybe, there is no analysis of power in the project and no repositioning of the reader to analyze the world we must drive through tomorrow and the day after. And while Fuller surely felt confident that his age knee the laws governing the universe well known, I am not sure physicists of our age would say the same, now that they have experimentally demonstrated "spooky action at a distance."

Here is another cool project--not as advanced as Fuller--that would be a failed critical engineering project, if it were one. But I think this could be as cool as anything the critical engineering group has attempted, like cleverly repurposing iPhone innards.

Were these guys to disassemble some of this crap and make something more useful from it, or make a fuel saving device that works and then reveal the damage it might do, or explain hypermile practices, or the placebo effect or confirmation bias or something... it may or may not be more "critical" but it would be more creative. I think there is a successful, unique opportunity in such demos, actually. But better, teach people not to trust the package or the store that sells it because the scam is revealed at a deeper level than just "look, it does not work." The scam is that any such simple device will be effective, safe for the car, and legal.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.