View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 08:00 PM   #135 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
First, my apologies that it took so long to update the OP. Busy and then crazy times intervened and I forgot. I respond below and have edited the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mista Bone View Post
before I read through all the posts, the original post needs some updating/correction. I might have made them before, but I haven't been on Ecomodder in some time, the CRX has been retired.

88-91 Civic DX LX / CRX

3.722 was 88 only, 89-91 was 3.889
Done. Used this comment for citation in the bibliography at the end of the OP.

Quote:
All 1992-2000 trans have one of two speedo gears: EX/Si/HX use “big bore” black one and others use white one but outer diameter is the same. Honda used white big bore (40mm) speedo gear in the 88-89 transmissions, but also a few have shown up in 96-00 EX transmissions, seems Honda was raiding the left over parts bin.
Added this, too, with citation to you.

Quote:
98-00 EX HB
Those didn't exist in USDM market, might be a CDM chassis/trans? Were they 35mm (small bore) like the 90-91 EX Sedan's or 40mm (big bore) like the 92-00 USDM? Quaife never got their info correct.
Thanks for the correction. Nice catch.

Quote:
California98Civic, if you need more info, a PM should work and get to my email address. Thanks for the work! -Mista Bone "D" tranny guru
Will do. Thanks.

Quote:
PS: Those casting codes and 35mm vs. 40mm info, those were found out when I had 15-20 transmissions in the three seasons room at my old house 20+ years ago.
You have sold all of that inventory by now, I guess, yes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by suspendedhatch View Post
You have 2nd gear on the D16y engines listed as 1.782. By my count, earlier D15s have 37 and 21 teeth on their 2nd main and counter gears, resulting in a ratio of 1.762. What combination of teeth gets you to 1.782?
That number is from a cited source, not my personal counting. I have not counted teeth on my old DX (D16y7) transmission (yet). I will at some point and keep this question in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Just looked up and it looks like the Insight 5th gear is drop-in for the first-gen Fit, possibly second gen as well. The needle bearing for both of them is 35x39x24mm. This would drop 5th gear from 0.757 to 0.710 and highway cruising RPM (65mph) from 3100rpm to 2900rpm - not huge, but 6.5% is nothing to sneeze at. My guess is that both gear shafts would probably drop in with minimal modification, but I don't think the Fit is appropriately powered to go from a 4.3 FD to a 3.2.
This is interesting, but I wonder... Doesn't the Fit have the transmission on the driver side of the engine? The gears would be cut with opposite rotation in mind, no?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.