View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 02:20 PM   #543 (permalink)
California98Civic
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
Looks good. What prompted the choice in material? I've never used it either. Is it more rigid than coroplast?
Actually, it was originally freebeard who talked up the "PolyMetal" brand of this stuff. I went shopping around for cheaper and found this brand (AluPoly). There are lots of brands. This 4'x8' 3 mm sheet was about $50. I drove about 40 miles round trip to get it. It is superior to coroplast in every way, though it is a little heavier. Still, it's just thin aluminum and thermoplastic, so it is much lighter than steel. Easy to cut. It can be hand bent into shape and it will hold the shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
... With a jigsaw you may need to do star turns for the light corners. Eat into the waste.
I think you are referring to what I did. I learned with hacksaw blades to cut a sharp round curve in sections. Works great. I am going to do another small or smallish test part today to practice before getting after the big spoiler where an error could waste my materials.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
deluxx (07-17-2020), freebeard (07-15-2020)